amicide

bill

Just buy pond salt-its cheaper than amicide anyway.

In theory, glyphosate(round up) should not work on stumps. It is a foliar acting sytemic herbicide, but people usually mix it so strong or put it on neat it cant help but kill! If you put say, bleach on a stump in great concentration it would kill it, but hey?

SBK is also a very crude way of killing a stump. You also are recommended to mix it with parrafin- how crude is that?

Chemicals such as these do have risidual effects when used in great concentrations, are not wildlife friendly and are also not good for the operator, children playing etc.

For the price of salt, i cannot see a reason for using a chemical, unless its for more detailed treatments such as poisoning brush.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you just apply salt to a wet stump, or do you dillute, make a paste or what? How much do you need?

I score inside the bark line with a saw, perhaps 10mm deep, then just put it in the groove, liberally, dry.

If rain is forecast. stick a bucket, plant pot or a pre-cut ring of wood from the stump on it to stop it washing off.

never had less than 100% results with good old roundup. Always got it in the van and cheap as chips. Biodegradeable too.

Firstly, hi fifer and welcome.

I understand what you say about its price and that its biodegradeable, but believe me it does have residual effects when mixed strong enough to kill a stump.

I am not saying it is wrong, its actually a fully accepted practice to use it or SBK, hence why you can buy both in B&Q.

As a fully licenced agro-chemical operator i have seen the residual effects roundup has when mixed chemical (at 4L/hectare) has been over-sprayed giving 3-4 times the intended dose.

These areas can often stay bare for many years, and that is still not concentrated enough to kill a tree stump.

Such a shame ammonium sulphamate has stopped being made, as it was always a good tool to show the customer you are concerned about the environment, and that it was safe for their pets and children.

Im not having a rant, just my point.