Post knocker to be mounted on jcb 3cx front loader

Matthew Storrs

The older tractors had poorer view of road with air cleaner and exhaust right in front of you.

I know my side mounted knocker is heavier on the mast side even though it has a counterweight, it's only the equivalent to the hammer.

I'd definitely make it industry standard hitch. Safe and time saving.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- industry standard hitch? Are you referring to the brackets on the post knocker. I would hope I could get a quick hitch on the digger so changing between knocker and bucket isn't too dramatic! I'm sure protech could make me a knocker with the right brackets for it.

Eddie- good call on the 4cx, they look far more convincing for my application but not so many of them on the market, this one I found on mascus JCB 4CX Backhoe loaders, Price: £21,997, Year of manufacture: 2001 - Mascus UK. Which looks tidy but otherwise they are far and few between? I guess it's a case of keeping an eye on the market and being ready to travel when they arise.

I notice that the terex backhoes and also Volvo have wider front tyres than most jcbs, the local water board uses a Terex to clean out all the leats running across the peat moors up here, seems to work for them without issues.

I'd give Clements Plant a call, they seem to have a regular supply of tidy Backhoes in various specs, and they would probably know of a 4cx.

The Vovo is very good for drive due to it's excellent torque converter setup, and fitted with oversize Michelin tyres would be as good as it gets for a conventional machine.

I'd personally have thought one of the TM handlers with it's telescopic section and pivot steer that can slew the post knocker sideways without moving the machine would be a handy mount, with pickup hitch on the rear for trailer.

Probably much better at road work too, with more power and I assume 40k?

Pivot steer kit is always good at debogging itself by walking, which can just give you enough momentum to get going again.

Serious tyres are available for these and no reason why duals couldn't be utilised either.

Eddie.

7306233-dump-truck-post-driver.jpg

One I've seen here had the post driver mounted on the rear of the dumper with the hopper removed to allow a forklift be fitted which also carried the bale of stakes.

The steering control was supplemented with a spool valve to facilitate operation from the ground, the drive set up on two push buttons. AN electric hand brake was fitted as well.

Where i used to work we regularly roaded a swing round wrag on the front links fowards visibility was not the problem you could see the front easily and doesnt block much with the mas the problem was pulling out of junctions when it was over 15 feet infront of the seat but a proper setup would be closer than a bucket anyway

Have you looked at getting a tow ball fitted was a couple of threads on here or ce forum about it would give you more versatility and a falling weight type setup on the back could get amazing places would just be impossible to transport

All good ideas from everyone- perhaps I should explain, I currently mount the post knocker on the back of the tractor- great setup but I don't fence full time and the tractor is tied up in only one task pretty much (fencing), however I do a lot of stone walling with big lumps of granite and heavy landscaping work which puts my 3 tonner on the limit all the time, so i think a lot of the work could be achieved with a backhoe running alongside 3 tonner, but in order to get a decent backhoe I'd sell my tractor, leaving me with only the 2 machines from which I still need to be able to utilise for fencing jobs, I have knocker on 3 tonner anyway but could do with more adjustment and hammer weight which I'd like to try and achieve with backhoe, hence fully hydraulic adjustment loader mount idea.

I like that dumper mounted knocker, but my experience of wheeled dumpers in soft ground is that they are generally pretty apt to sinking! Also that particular one would require low loader to move.

Actually I seem to spend my days trying to work out how to cover maximum work variation with minimum amount of machinery- yet like to have decent machine for the job, always a juggle....

Where i used to work we regularly roaded a swing round wrag on the front links fowards visibility was not the problem you could see the front easily and doesnt block much with the mas the problem was pulling out of junctions when it was over 15 feet infront of the seat but a proper setup would be closer than a bucket anyway

Have you looked at getting a tow ball fitted was a couple of threads on here or ce forum about it would give you more versatility and a falling weight type setup on the back could get amazing places would just be impossible to transport

A tow ball would be a must, not for road use, just pulling trailers across muddy fields and the like. I see what you mean about junctions but as you say a sideshift model would stick out less than the bucket would.

7306233-dump-truck-post-driver.jpg

One I've seen here had the post driver mounted on the rear of the dumper with the hopper removed to allow a forklift be fitted which also carried the bale of stakes.

The steering control was supplemented with a spool valve to facilitate operation from the ground, the drive set up on two push buttons. AN electric hand brake was fitted as well.

Whilst in practise that does all sound good- it requires a fair bit of modification and obviously the base unit dumper and forklift, but once finished I can't really see the advantage or even cost savings of it over a simple tractor and loader(with pallet forks) and knocker on the back, at least it could get itself to jobs- whereas I wouldn't fancy going far in a dumper!!