Sheared Bolt

Nook

Hello,

I have a sheared anti vibe bolt on a top handle, its the rear mount and there is nothing poking out the thread hole to grip and access is a bit tight. Any help?? It needs to be back in the tree tomorrow.

I'm almost at the stage of hitting it with a sledge but thought i'd ask here first.

Hello,

I have a sheared anti vibe bolt on a top handle, its the rear mount and there is nothing poking out the thread hole to grip and access is a bit tight. Any help?? It needs to be back in the tree tomorrow.

I'm almost at the stage of hitting it with a sledge but thought i'd ask here first.

Is the hole where it has sheared off a "through" hole ?? Or is it a dead end.

If it's a dead end you will have to use an extractor, if it's a through hole get the smallest drill bit you have and drill into the centre of the broken bolt from whichever end you can, you want to get a tiny hole right through the centre. Then when you have got one through the centre change to a bigger drill bit, but the drill bit has to still be smaller than the bolt and drill at a really slow speed from the broken off end, the drill should bite then it will, if the bolt isn't loctited in, screw the broken bit out instead of drilling.

Yeah to small for removing kit unfortunately, can't get in there to drill it either. the sledge hammer is starting to look like a good idea.

This is why you should always have two 200t's

Get it into someone who can do it Nook, a new casting will be expensive, if you were near me I would do it for you, I have some extra long drill bits :001_rolleyes:

Which bit has broken?

The mount at the back on the top is held on by two bolts(well onto the casing anyway. You may be lucky as a temp measure to just use one.

Or has it snapped into the plastic housing?

The one at the bottom on the front is part of the AV rubber.

The funny thing is we do have 2 top handles! But never to round to getting that fixed. We live and learn. Gonna put the old handle on the new saw and then get the old one brought back to life. Tried drilling it out but to no effect. just mildly dented the top. Where are you?

Thanks for the help.

Which bit has broken?

The mount at the back on the top is held on by two bolts(well onto the casing anyway. You may be lucky as a temp measure to just use one.

Or has it snapped into the plastic housing?

The one at the bottom on the front is part of the AV rubber.

Its the bit into the plastic of the top handle