Advice for new arb

Derakhte Mazda

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site and come seeking advice and guidance.

I have a small gardening business and am seeking to move in to tree surgery / arboriculture.

In February I am down to do a month intensive at Kingswood Training where if things go well i will leave with:

CS30 – Chainsaw Maintenance and Crosscutting

NPTC Unit CS31 – Felling Trees up to 380mm diameter

NPTC Unit CS38 – Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue

NPTC Unit CS39 – Using a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness

LANTRA Cert. – Use of wood chipper

LANTRA Cert. – Use of stump grinders

LANTRA Cert. – Business Studies for Tree Surgeons

I have a few questions if you don't mind answering and have the time. I apologise if this is repetitive for some of you, I have done some research but just need a direct answer from the experienced and knowledgable.

- What books should I sink in to before the course and will carry me on after for tree surgery and tree health/care?

- What equipment should I buy first? What is essential? And what do you think my initial capital cost would be for chainsaws, tools, climbing etc. I have a van and many gardening equipment already including stihl hedge trimmer and pole pruner.

- I have a family to feed so I cannot afford to apprentice myself or work as a junior for someone else, (although happy to do a few days a week part-time if wage is right) so I have to learn and develop by myself in parallel with the gardening. So after the training, to master my vocation, which course would you recommend? Which is the most prestigious or comprehensive? Are the Arb courses at Capel Manor well rated?

- I want to extend my knowledge in to tree care, health and planting not just felling, how should I proceed on those lines?

I sincerely appreciate your advice, experience and wisdom.

Many thanks,

Danny

To operate a tree surgery outfit you need to go big enough.

In an ideal world you would get a tipper and a small chipper, you cant operate competitively without a chipper of some sort. With the tools you have and perhaps a saw or two, you could be up and running with a freelance climber in short order. You can learn a lot by observation.

If money is an issue I would scale back the tickets to cross cut and fell and buy a chipper and tipper. Other certification can be taken on, as and when.

I see many newbies claim to be tree surgeons or arborists that have no knowledge on how to prune a tree or tree species; the questions in the NPTC assessments are pretty basic about that.

A theory course would be good; not sure if it's still run but the RFS Certificate in Arb covers both theory and practical (it may have changed since I was at college). Merrist Wood used to run it (they may still) and it was one day a week. The Horticultural Correspondence College run a distant learning course (there's a thread running on here about it); that could help with the time away from site aspect of a theory course.

Regarding books, there's so many to choose from but anything my Lonsdale, Mattcheck, Shigo would be a good start but don't discount some on line papers etc.

If you're not a member already, consider joining the Arb Ass; lots of info in the newsletter and Journal plus workshops and training days.

From a tools and kit perspective, buy what you can afford; when I started (20 years ago) I used a trailer to move brash around and bought the relevant kit as and when I could afford it. Stump grinders can be hired in as can chippers so that expense could wait until funds allow.

Good luck.

Besides the kit the question there is the question do you want to be the climber/arborist who does the skilled work or the bloke who owns the majority of the tools and subs in the expertise? If the former you need experience which requires you to do some subbing and you will experienced friends for advice the later will involve cocking up quotes as you learn and a fair bit of capital to be equipped to do so. I've tried doing a mix of both and wish in hindsight I'd spent two years subbing to learn properly.

the main thing with learning arb work is time in the saddle and on the tools, and learning from those experienced in the industry - which really means being junior to some one - despite the courses- you probably wont know enough, and will not be able to compete against experienced crews - in the beginning a tree that would take you all day would likely take 1 hour from a climber with 10 years on the job - and as for getting the money in - unless your business is well established expect to be living on noodles for a couple of years! courses are good and teach you a lot - if you want prestigious go do the courses at Kew - but you and your family will likely starve....but its skill and experience that will earn you the money - basic arb set up is truck and chipper- a couple of groundsaws, rigging kit, pole pruners. your own climbing gear, - ita fair few grand you need to get really set up properly.

Books there are many and many are very good - it depends what you want to know. are you planning more to be a manager and consultant or you want to be on the tools?

Thanks,

That is all very helpful and useful advice.

I want to go where ther money is. So i think that getting on the tools while i am still fit and able, then as i get older, wiser and less able, then get others to do the graft while i do the management but maybe after 10 years or so.

I am happy to graft hard and learn on the job. Experience is king and courses secondary.

So judging by what you guys are saying i will need to role with an established team to get my experience up.

I do have a couple grand aside for tools.

If i find a team that will have me how much can i expect as a wage?