Final seasoning

Paul in the woods

Is there a sensible way to dry off seasoned firewood a bit more before burning it?

I've a open sided log store with an overhanging roof so the wood is around 20% MC but can this be reduced much more before burning? For example, I'm considering leaving a large area clear to stack logs for a week next to the kitchen wood stove but would that make much difference? Any other ideas?

stack as much next to the fire as possible i currently have a rack that keeps 2-3 days worth when burning all day, the logs nearest the fire dry very well you can see this by all the extra cracking that happens on the faces of them but as to what % less water is in the log i don't know but i would be surprised if it got any more than 5 % before they where thrown in the fire

I think it depends on where you place them on or near a stove, I often wonder about the stoves sold with integrated log stores etc.

I'm planning of using wood for most heating and cooking so I'm considering a fairly large area near the stove to finish off the wood. I hadn't thought about bringing the temp up but that's useful to know.

I'm curious to know how much the wood would dry off in just a week though, I wouldn't have thought that much to be honest. I suppose I'll have to experiment a little and take some readings.