snow and gritting service pricing

mitchel

Hello,

I had a friend who is a fabricator make me up a plough for my 4x4 which works off my winch and since using ive decided to run it as a service i'm looking to buy a rear door mounted snow ex gritter. also a pedistrian gritter i do have a farm quad which i may also mount a plough to for large areas unreachable by 4x4. i have all the correct vehicle insurances and liability insurance to cover these services.

So my question is how do i go about pricing up jobs? and whether to charge a retainer which i would be happier with?

A local nursing home has already asked me to quote on a pre emptive service yet they weren't happy with the recent person they had do it all with a pedestrian kit he came 4 days on a trot in decemeber and january and charged them £600. which to be honest i think is high also i believe he over gritted.

UK Landscapes pay £50hr for snow clearing min of 4hrs, Speak to Geoff Bennett and get on his list for your area they do Asda, Morrisons, Aldi etc...

Be careful not too charge too little as salt ruins your kit and it's mostly unsociable hours, I charge roughly £120.00 for a medium size supermarket site which includes providing the salt.

I have a glasdon pedestrian spreader in vgc and a 9ft Tractor snowplough for sale which is unused if interested.

UK Landscapes pay £50hr for snow clearing min of 4hrs, Speak to Geoff Bennett and get on his list for your area they do Asda, Morrisons, Aldi etc...

Be careful not too charge too little as salt ruins your kit and it's mostly unsociable hours, I charge roughly £120.00 for a medium size supermarket site which includes providing the salt.

I have a glasdon pedestrian spreader in vgc and a 9ft Tractor snowplough for sale which is unused if interested.

Brilliant thanks for that price see no ones been able to tell me rough price

So based up on that £100 a visit to a nursing home wouldn't be bad there's about 20 car parking spaces and 300 yard drive.

Next question is what if you clear and grit it and it keeps snowing? You can't be in more places than one?

Daniel do you take any sort of retainer or is there a contract to the customer? And do you come when they call you?

I'll give them a call im on back up lists for grit it and ice watch but they seem really disorganised and useless haha.

Each site is slightly different the majority of my sites I also do the grounds maintenance too and do not take a retainer.

Generally if it falls below zero we go and spread during the night, If its forecast heavy snow put a thick layer of salt down then when it comes to ploughing it's much easier as believe me it still settles on top as in general there is not enough traffic movement to keep it clear.

Also try ground control they will provide you with salt for there sites.

Mitie are doing a lot around here they are using ford ranger single cabs with snow ex on back.

I also use White Salt for near buildings entrances as it has a lot less residue for walking through buildings etc.

Oh and use BS rock salt cheap grit contains stones which get caught in the snow ex augers and burn out the motor.

Hope that's of help...

• 7 months later...

I ran on winter maintenance crews for 5 years, The money's great but the kit gets destroyed! It was la so it wasn't little car parks....but hitting an inverted gulley lid at 35 miles an hour will destroy a plough! The hardest bit was finding kerb lines in deep snow

Nope, ya need to chase along the kerb as close as you can, gps will give you a rough idea but not close enough

This is what I am worried about as its the footpaths that they want cleared and I can see it would be very easy falling off the kerb if the roads had not already been cleared which is the norm around us.