Newbie looking for a little start up advice

Rich86

Hi, first off thanks for taking the time to read this, i`m looking for a career change and think Arborist could really suit me (love being outdoors, climbing and dangerous machinery) Going self employed is a huge draw to me, with a budget of around £10,000 excluding training costs would I be able to set up on my own?

Any help would be appreciated but looking for advice on choice of vehicle (tipper transit maybe) is it worth getting a chipper straight off? How many and what sort of chainsaws? How much should I budget for climbing kit.?Looking to set up in Malvern/Worcester area, is there even enough work out there at the moment?

As I say thanks again and looking forward to hearing from you all

You could do what I did mate, I've been doing tree work for a year now and I've been self employed since the word go. Left the forces and got my tickets, had a similar budget to you too. I wouldn't advise getting a tipper / chipper to start with, have a think about being a sub contractor to a local firm first, that way you will get the vital experience, I was useless to start with, tickets don't give you the skills to complete basic tree jobs, they just give you a safety competency. I started off doing ground work as a Subbie, within 3 months I was climbing and was very slow to start with, but I'm better now. All you need is someone to give you a chance and to keep on at it. It's hard work, but enjoyable.

I think that most people here have some solid advice. You want to be able to get some experience under your belt so you can have something that you can point to – to make your mark in the industry if you will. I would highly recommend that you follow similar paths like that.

May i suggest the course below.

Get your chainsaw & climbing tickets along with chipper and stump grinder certs.

Buy yourself a ground and climbing saw as well as a basic climbing kit and practice whenever possible.

Initially sub out to local companies, as a groundie / 2nd climber. Gain experience and make contacts for a year or two. That way you use their big kit (chippers / big saws etc)

BE A SPONGE. Soak up all the relevant information to make yourself better. Watch others climb and try it yourself. See what works do you. Ask to try their fancy kit (zigzag, spiderjack etc) before spending out

Most of all enjoy yourself and good luck

http://www.kingswoodtraining.com/tree-surgery-courses/combined-courses/arboricultural-combination-course-tree-surgery-business-start-up/

do work for as many different people as you can, gaining experience.

consider a 4x4 pick up tipper. same pay load as transit etc but can go off road. handy when working with trees and doubles as a car.

get a top handled saw and a ground saw 044 etc. climbing kit and ppe.

hire a chipper if you do get any work for yourself and the job needs it.

think about public and employers insurance if doing your own work.

the more experience and kit you have, the more you can charge as a subbie.

get the basic kit, 10,000 wont get everything and get bits as you need them.

find a climber you get on with and learn as much as you can, and beg to climb!!

good luck:001_smile:

Keep hold of the money for as long as you can as it will disappear quickly. And to add my vote of being a subbie for a few companys and bulid a contact list.

And see what set up works and what kind if work you want.

Go to the trade shows and speak to the dealers and manufacturers. And see the kit in real life with the people you work for

And go from there

Hey, thank you all very much for all your feedback, has adjusted my expectations slightly, realised im not going to do a 10 week course and be all over it, but hey when was anything worth doing easy? Will be back on here soon begging you all for work im sure, Cheers again and have a great bank holiday :)

If ur around Suffolk Norfolk way give me a pm.

The 10week course will get ur quals very quickly.

But no experience.

Better get experience then get the quals.

It is good to have a plan but don't be afraid to change it if something isn't going write.

Hey, thank you all very much for all your feedback, has adjusted my expectations slightly, realised im not going to do a 10 week course and be all over it, but hey when was anything worth doing easy? Will be back on here soon begging you all for work im sure, Cheers again and have a great bank holiday :)

Good luck, it's doable.