Ht131 air filter getting soaked in fuel

Hodad

Hi there, just hoping to be pointed in the right direction. This saw has had a carb kit put in it by the dealer less than a year ago, but the problem continues. Press primer, no choke, throttle set to start position, and 50% of the time, no problem starting. When it does refuse to co-operate, I find the air filter is soaked in fuel. Remove filter, starts no worries. Replace with a dry one for next task, seems I have a 50% chance of success again.....

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ian.

Here's ya fix:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/62516-heads-up-good-replacement-engine-stihl-polesaws-pole-hedgcutters-combi-units.html?highlight=replacement+engine

Love my FS70s, 8 months of abuse and still going strong. I'll chop them in at the end of summer for new ones.

For a polesaw, you could even go for an FS240- twice the power you currently have. :lol: I might change one of the 70s for a 240, but TBH the 70 has plenty of power and it's harder to justify the cost of a 240.

Long story short, 4mix are crap, 2mix are great.

They normally leak if stored on the resting on the air filter side I have a fs 90 with same problem ive given up with running it with a air filter I know its not advise able but the machine has been used for at least 4 years 5 days a week and all that has gone wrong is one faulty carb. I would definitely not recommend the fix above those fs70s are constantly going wrong at my work

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

They normally leak if stored on the resting on the air filter side I have a fs 90 with same problem ive given up with running it with a air filter I know its not advise able but the machine has been used for at least 4 years 5 days a week and all that has gone wrong is one faulty carb. I would definitely not recommend the fix above those fs70s are constantly going wrong at my work

What problems do you have? I like to to be prepared :biggrin:, mine are faultless at the moment and my 2-mix 460s have not had anything more than an air filter in three years.

The pull starts wear I've replace like 5 complete pullstarts due to the ridge for the circlip on the pull start wears. The shafts constantly break due to people running too much cord and straining them constantly. The problem I find is strimmer guard is useless compared the 4 mix.

The pull starts wear I've replace like 5 complete pullstarts due to the ridge for the circlip on the pull start wears. The shafts constantly break due to people running too much cord and straining them constantly. The problem I find is strimmer guard is useless compared the 4 mix.

You're picking holes with the strimmer part of it, not the engine. I'm talking about using the engine on other machines after people get fed up of 4-mixes.

The guard is Stihl's new design for all their strimmers. Flexi shafts break if idiots are allowed near them.

I will keep an eye on the pullstart, thanks. Although with the ElastoStart it doesn't seem to put much stress on it to start it so I'm surprised.

That's odd, it's a tenner more and the same power. Why do Stihl have so many variations of the same power? It's the same with the FS-55/56/60. But you're right, looks like a capable machine. It's on the list to replace the oldest FS-70 after summer. Lighter too.

The 'Ecospeed' function looks pretty pointless. You constantly need to slow down for trimming round edges, etc with that size of strimmer, so what use is what is in essence a throttle lock? In fact, even in thick undergrowth you need to let off the throttle at the end of each sweep. Looks like a gimmick to me.

The 94 has a separate throttle, much like the 4-mixes. I prefer the combined throttle and engine unit of the 70 as it's very quick to swap it onto an extendable shaft for the polesaw.

I agree the FS-70 looks delicate but I've used them for very hard work, up in mancrates and stuff on a polesaw. My only gripe is the trigger, which is easy to catch clothing on and looks easy to snap. Bottom line is that for £250 it's an economical, dependable engine to replace a bust 4-mix.