Carlube Synthetic 2T oil?

wyk

The girlfriend gave me a bottle of carlube fully synthetic 2t oil. Has any one used this stuff? JASO FC rated, so not the FD rating I usually see on full synth...

Being involved in bikes I hear so many opinions on Motul this, Putoline....Redline...Castrol etc. Those who spout all this usually can't ride and never run their motors to the max. Some of the best riders I've seen have a bike that's falling apart and stick whatever oil in the mix they have to hand and their bikes never blow up:001_smile:

Just so we're clear, "having a bike that is falling apart" AKA "I shouldn't care about the state of my saw" is your answer?

I mostly want to make sure this is a real thing, that it doesn't stink of ass when it burns, and folks have used it without ash or carbon issues. What a bottle says and what a bottle does can be two different things. If it isn't castor based, etc. And, most importantly, I have never heard of this stuff, and it has a silly name. So I was a bit skeptical.

This is the sort of saw I will be using this stuff in, if we want to talk about pushing our machines:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxorZEKTNA]Ported 2165 with 77cc big bore kit in Beech - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by wyk

Just so we're clear, "having a bike that is falling apart" AKA "I shouldn't care about the state of my saw" is your answer?

No. What I infered but probably wasn't really clear is that a lot of riders spout that certain oils are cr@p etc and others who don't ride polished and pampered bikes, but still racing enduro machines, will use any 2t that comes to hand. Very rarely see any bikes seized using less well known oils or otherwise.

No. What I infered but probably wasn't really clear is that a lot of riders spout that certain oils are cr@p etc and others who don't ride polished and pampered bikes, but still racing enduro machines, will use any 2t that comes to hand. Very rarely see any bikes seized using less well known oils or otherwise.

Ah. I was giving out a bit there myself.

It is almost difficult for a race bike to seize using castor based racing oils - they create a very strong coating on the cylinder and piston that also works as a lubricant. The harder they are ran, the tougher the coating. The bikes are then torn down and rebuilt before the next race before the deposits become an issue. This is an option you really don't have with a work saw. I've ran some Castor in race saws, but not in a work saw. It does smell lovely, though.

I would rather not have to rebuild my chainsaw after a short while in use. So, I avoid castor-based synthetics that are popular with the race bike crowd. Since this is a bike oil, I was curious whether it might have some castor. The labeling is virtually non-existant on the sample I was given.

No worries. Often wondered why the service interval on bikes is measured in hours as opposed to a saw which runs till it stops:001_smile:

4t bke man myself so should probably shut up:biggrin: Although service intervals on these are hours now!

IIRC Carlube is a or the brand name that is sold at some of the aftermarket car part stores Halfords used to stock it some years ago,no idea if they still do, if it has a FC rating it should be good quality product, after all the beloved Stihl Ultra is only FB rated. If some one gave me an unopened bottle I would most certainly use it.