tight bends.

Dilz

Hello!

I'm relatively new to SRT so forgive me if this is basic stuff.

This is for using a base anchor that is rigged for rescue.

I was wondering if having a system set up where there is a top anchor which is a wire strop around the tree or limb and connected together with a karabiner - is it fine to just have the access line go through the karabiner or does it need to go over a pulley or shear reduction block?

The reason for the wire strop is - the system will be left out overnight in an area with a large amount of wildlife activity and risk assessment says we need to do this to prevent the rope getting chewed by animals.

Thanks for any info.

Sounds like a clumsy solution to a nonexistent problem to me.

Either remove the line at night and use a throw line to reinstall as Joe says, or just pull the line down in the morning to check it. You should inspect the full length of the line every day anyway as part of your normal pre climb checks.

Also if this is a permanent or semi permanent installation leaving a wire sling in the tree isn't exactly cambium friendly.

the problem is a real one - see it's for setting up a canopy access system for volunteers and scientists in the amazon jungle later this year. The aim is to have multiple access systems set up. including a system that allows people with very weak upper body strength to rather severe mobility issues to be able to pull themselves up into a tree using a 5 to 1 system and some specially designed kit. Due to the climate it's best we try to minimize the strain put on the arborist putting up and checking the systems by being able to leave at least one if not more access lines in place as the same tree will need to be repeatedly accessed for the collection of data for the science projects. In putting together the standard operting procedures and risk assessment for this we were lucky to have access to the risk assessments from existing companies with experience of tropcial canopy access - they included the use of wire core strops to allow the system to be left in place and prevent animals from chewing the rope on the top side of the anchor. The organization I'll be working with has thought this is a good idea and thus we too shall also use the wire core strops for the anchors We will, of course, be inspecting all systems before bringing up the scientists and volunteers.

I hope this answers any questions as to why we'll be using the wire core lines as anchor points.