Old stihls....

kkma1560

Right, new to site, and would really like to pick someone’s brain about a couple of old saws.

First is a stihl 024AV. She has been running fine for past 4 yrs. However few weeks ago she stopped idling, and wouldn’t tick over. I adjusted L setting on carb, with no success. So thought she may need service, so changed plug and fuel filter, and cleaned air filter. She would just idle, but now when I rev her she bogs down and cuts out. She is also now a b’stard to start. Any ideas….

Second is a stihl 026. Now found this in back of shed, when I moved home (city boy moving back in to sticks). Father had been given it and had always said she will run but only needs one part. The old boy sadly died, so never got round to asking what part, so thought would take whole thing apart. However quickly found just ignition coil. And with a new plug, fuel filter, and clean out of carb, I got her to start. She had compression. However she won’t idle. Took her to shop – who weren’t interested as old saw, and they said she would need new piston and cylinder as blowing fuel back through carb. Does this sound likely, and is it worth sticking Chinese cylinder and piston in her? Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, how do I get Spud's attention....

It's a saw and it's in trouble, he's probably already interested. I dare say he and others will be along shortly but you could also post on the 'What's on your bench today?' thread. Where Spud and others habitually hang-out.

Edited by TGB

Did someone wake me up:001_rolleyes::lol:

The 026 first - they do suffer from wear on the piston skirt and they start knocking on idle and can eventually get this free porting around the piston skirt.

Personally I would do a compression check and see how it sounds running and go from there - the carbs can be.....interesting to set up:001_rolleyes:, I have had this phenomena on an 024 which would saturate the air filter in fuel, choking the engine - I overcame it by leaning down the L screw to around 3/4 turn rather than the 1 turn out.

I found this by running the saw up and removing the air filter and doing a couple of test cuts - the saw went from bogging to having good full power.

The idle may just be the carb setting - set the L screw to 3/4 - 1 turn out and see if turning in the idle a little helps.

If you can't do a compression check - try removing the muffler and look at the piston through the exhaust port, the piston should look clean and wet silver grey - deep vertical scoring and it is shot.

The 024 - it sounds like you have enough fuel for idle but not for full power - check the fuel line is OK - plug one end and suck on the other - small holes will do this. The impulse line (small rubber hose from the airbox to the back of the cylinder base) may be split, check the fuel filter and also the internal gauze strainer in the pumping section of the carb - a common fault on most saws!

I am assuming that the carb settings on the 024 are around 1 turn out on the H & L screw!

The carb may need a good deep clean but try this for now!

Thanks, how do I get Spud's attention....

If you have a strong spotlight cut out a chainsaw silhouette and shine it into the sky.

Either that or bake a cake.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk