Chainsaw milling a very large oak

agg221

In December, Luke Quenby posted about a very large oak which he'd taken down:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/milling-forum/51851-any-takers.html

The bottom section is going for an enormous chainsaw sculpture, but the top section was available and I'm having a go at it. The approach should be an interesting contrast to Rob D's 6' oak thread here:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/alaskan-mill/55874-chainsaw-milling-big-oak-6ft-diameter.html

I was going to put it off today due to the weather, but I had to go past anyway and thought I might as well start moving it in preparation. The plan was to work until I got cold and wet and then go home, but in practice I didn't get too cold or wet and carried on until it was set up ready for milling.

It's too big to fit in an Alaskan, so it will have to be cut freehand. I'd prefer to do this vertically as it's easier to follow the line down the side. This meant rolling it over sideways 180degrees to get it clear of the lower section and then standing it on end. All moving was done by me, by hand, using the jack on the left in picture 2. Photos show it part way up, and then the last one shows it standing on end (light was fading a bit and the blizzard didn't help!). The saw in the pictures is an 066 with a 36" bar on, for scale (yes I did move it before I lifted the log up!). The top end shown in picture 3 is 12' across side to side.

Being the top I expect it to be quite gnarly, with some interesting grain.

Alec

oak-4.JPG.f0c3fdc87cf7adb60d43414c39687a72.JPG

oak-3.JPG.f14caf1766ac3bf57672e5530f637c82.JPG

oak-2.JPG.f138a4440662c64626a8a631a4841c0c.JPG

oak-1.JPG.a3160a2637a25d2b909a4ba83237b2d9.JPG

Edited by agg221

Nice to see its being used.

I trust you've seen the nails in the branch that was closest to the big house? Looked like it had a sheet of tin nailed over the pruning wound?

When will you next have a go at it? I'm keen to come over and have a look at what it's like, especially the centre section.

Nice to see its being used.

I trust you've seen the nails in the branch that was closest to the big house? Looked like it had a sheet of tin nailed over the pruning wound?

When will you next have a go at it? I'm keen to come over and have a look at what it's like, especially the centre section.

Yes - spotted the nails. I had naively assumed that 20' up a parkland grown tree I should be fairly safe from metal, but oh no... I'll take a prybar with me next time.

I might have a go on Friday, but only if the weather has improved somewhat. Working with the jack kept me warm, but I suspect I'll be standing still for a while on each cut.

Alec

Alec, I wouldn't bother milling the top lump, not for the amount of effort that it is going to take to do it. I very much doubt that it will do anything other than move horribly when drying and you'll most likely be left with unmarketable timber.

Only my 2 cents though.

Alec, I wouldn't bother milling the top lump, not for the amount of effort that it is going to take to do it. I very much doubt that it will do anything other than move horribly when drying and you'll most likely be left with unmarketable timber.

Only my 2 cents though.

I know what you mean, and I know it's a risk, but I'll give it a go. If it works out, great. If not, not too much lost.

Alec