Is bigger better?

FledglingARB

Hand tongs are much of a muchness, quality wise.

Which size depends on what size material you plan to 'tong'. Small tongs struggle to grip logs near the jaw capacity, and big tongs are more cumbersome on small dia logs.

Either way tongs are a good back saver in the woods, and handy for arb jobs too

I have the husky tongs (small/medium) and they serve me very well - i think the larger tongs are OTT as really you will be trying to lift something too heavy with the large sizes - and a splitting axe/wedge can always split them smaller if they are rounds - or if long lengths then youll want a heavier bit of equipment(winch etc)

a peavy for log rolling and a pickeroon are other tools woth thinking about - logrite seem to be well favoured.

hi, agree with all that`s been said and would only add that I find that it`s best to have two pairs as I find it makes it easier, either when lifting in front of you onto a sawhorse or dragging/walking, one bit each side is better on the back. Mine are Stihl 20cm. cheers

I seriously thought of getting timber/pulp tongs, until I saw them at the APF. Hadn't realised they were so bulky. Not the kind of thing you'd be carrying in a belt-sheath but handy if you were in one place for extended periods; and if there were two of you loading small trailer with slightly larger stuff.

Saw a Husqvarna guy at APF pairing a lifting tongs with lifting hook. Seems the way forward for small-medium stuff.

Husky or Stihl are theirs comfortable. I'd personal steer clear of Oregon lifting tongs. I bought a pair online, (had originally wanted either H' of S' but vendor didnt jave any in) as I needed them in a hurry. Price was reasonable and I thought the cork handle would beige comfy

Edited by TGB

Timed put on edit, so...

Husky and Stihl are comfortable. I'd personal steer clear of Oregon lifting tongs. I bought a pair online, as I needed them in a hurry. Had originally wanted either H' of S' but vendor didnt have any in. Price was reasonable and I thought the cork handle would be comfy. But the cork is really slippery when even slightly wet and under load. Resulting in the tongs rotating in the hand or popping out of the grasping hand. Not good at all!

Edited by TGB

Saw a Husqvarna guy at APF pairing a lifting tongs with lifting hook. Seems the way forward for small-medium stuff.

I use a pair of timber tongs in one hand and a pulp hook in the other for moving cordwood. Saves your hands and back, and are invaluable when the timber is wet and greasy after rain (sweet chestnut for example).

I wouldn't be without them.

Sorry. The implement I termed as being a lifting hook, is a pulp hook. I knew this, why then did I mis-term it. Visual association I dare say. But I digress.

What he said. But with lifting tongs instead of timber tongs. I can't reasonably and single handedly heft the size of timber that timber hooks are made for.