Another Newbie from London...

bigsteve

Hi, new member saying hello from East London.

As the title suggests I'm a newbie. I've been a gardener/landscaper for a few years now and always wanted to get involved in tree surgery. When I first looked at doing the courses, the recession properly kicked in and I decided it might not be the best time to invest in a career change.

I'm starting to look into it again now, hence the reason I've come to the forum.

I've searched the forum to try and get as much info as I can. But I just have a couple of questions to check if I'm on the right track..

What I have taken in so far is that I ideally need C31, C32, C38 & C39 before I can realistically look for work. Would you agree? Or should I be focussing on different courses?

Capel Manor College seems to be the nearest training venue to me, unless anyone would recommend another college thats commutable from East London?

And once qualified in the relevant courses, what sort of equipment would I be expected to own before looking for work, and how much is it likely to cost?

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated :thumbup1:

Thanks for the advice mate, but theres not many horses in my area, I have a phobia of dentists, and to be honest veterinary medicine is somewhat below my academic capabilities... Not to blow my own trumpet or anything, but I'm better than that.

you can look for work now!

defo once you get either 30/31 or 38 treework is about experience understanding the ground work helps you to be a good climber it's all about progressing it would rather strange for someone to ask you to do climbing jobs without any experience and just the quals

as to kit would depend if your employed or self employed

Employed nothing they should give you all you need !

self employed at least your own PPE £200plus

but if you want to climb you would need your own climbing kit £500plus and tophandle saw £400 plus and maybe a ground saw £400 plus

Edited by Cheesy pete