which chainsaw???

rayzor

Hi All ,

I apologize if you have heard this question before!!

I am thinking of buying my first chainsaw for harvesting wood , cant decide which of the new models to go for a husky or sthil - would definitely go for a forestry grade machine as i would like for it to hard wearing!!

Shall be used on and off when timber is down in the woods and would not of thought timber will be real big trees as in over 45ft..

I am fortunate that in my work as a highways road worker we get wind blown trees which we have to deal with and have access to sthil MS 240 and a 441 - i really like the 240 and what with using at work with so many users too , its seems to be a hard wearing machine!!!

Oh before you ask we are not allowed to use them for private use:confused1:

I hear good things about husky too , so you more experienced people who are using them every day - could you help me decide please:001_smile:

All the best ,

Ray.

this thread is justa few down from yours... http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/66430-new-saw-stihl-husky.html

This thread will definitely help you choose a pro saw, but, go to your local dealer and test a few before you commit to buying one, after all, it's no good going by what we say only to decide the saw is too heavy for you! And the husky semi-pro range is also worth checking out, they're just tuned-down models

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Well lads ,

Had a good look at the relevant threads and had a look at the new Husky 550XP at a local dealer and it looks a nice saw!!

Problem is i still cant make my mind up whether to go for the husky or a Stihl MS 240 - 361???

I have been using the Stihl 240 at work so i know its pretty good but still tempted by the Husky - know of a Husky 550XP going second hand for £400 too!!

Just want to make the right choice!!

All the best..

I got a new 550xpg a couple of weeks ago.

Used it the other day on some wind blown timber. Switching between my 254xp 18" bar and 550xpg with 15" bar, the 550 gets my vote.

Very "flickable" amazing pick up and power, cuts like a dream.

Treat yourself to the Husky, heated handles are the way forward too.

Regards

BP

Well lads ,

Had a good look at the relevant threads and had a look at the new Husky 550XP at a local dealer and it looks a nice saw!!

Problem is i still cant make my mind up whether to go for the husky or a Stihl MS 240 - 361???

I have been using the Stihl 240 at work so i know its pretty good but still tempted by the Husky - know of a Husky 550XP going second hand for £400 too!!

All the best..

Neither the 240 or 361 are available, the 261 and 362 are crap IMO

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Well lads ,

All the best..

no contest the husky 550xp is a cracking saw had the chance to try one and never used a saw which cut so fast. faster than my 576 if it was me go for the husky and i bet its cheaper than the sthil.

or tin hat on have a look at mytox 2 year warrenty and half the price coppicer i know uses them and he uses them every day and his have nott gone wrong. or efco/oleomac very good saws cut tonnes with father in law with two of them they lasted 15 years before they became worn out