Thinning with an 8t excavator and head

briquette_seller

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always think they look awkward at APF if your using them for thinning. My 3 tonne is only 4ft wide so handy for taking out a full line and thinning the adjacent rows.

Hmmmmmm.

Mine is about 7 foot wide, no tail swing, with a slewing boom.

What kinda money was in the head, if you dont mind me asking?

Less than 20K, or more?

Spent 18 months "assembling" such a machine (8 tonner) and had to abandon; wish we hadn't as the concept has many merits. You're talking tiny stems and nowt but first thinnings. This vid is as good as it gets, especially on a 7 tonner with a roller head.

[ame]

[/ame]

Hydraulic excavators really struggle with the hydraulic flow; by the time you've sorted a seperate power pack, the cost benefit analysis doesn't add up. Dinoma and Nisula operate heads that are very acceptable; again cost ends up meaning you might as well get a tidy used purpose built machine.

[ame]

[/ame]

The reality is you never get jobs with 99% small stems and you end up on a saw. Typical UK hairy trees make it less preferable again.

Speak to Kenny Dobson at FMS for an update on the dinoma; last I heard it was back to the drawing board for modifications to deal with spruce and pine; fine in DF and hemlock.