Hyperion Redwood: Tallest Known Tree

mdvaden

Had a chance to bushwhack and find Hyperion Redwood last Friday.

Was going to wait for spring, as I wanted to enjoy exploring, not just rush looking for one tree. When I got down to Orick, California, for what was just to be a weekend of hiking, I realized that the rivers were not high - had not rained too much in the past week or two. And temps were reasonable. Never did need to wade upstream deeper than my pockets.

Was actually just probing to get acquainted with the one valley, more so than find the redwood. And with the good weather, kept progressing higher and higher in elevation. The unexpected sun stretched the useable daylength.

Won't be sharing the location, but will offer that one video on Youtube by Spickler, appears to exaggerate. And technically, no valley in that park is "lost" or "uncharted" as some written material says.

It is remote though - that's a fairly accurate statement.

A lot of bear activity. There was so much evidence of bears, I was surprised to have not seen hide or hair of one.

Will just start with little images for the present ...

Hyperion_250_Copyright.jpg.394ccfab784e7185ea407d3d97eb3a55.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

good thread mate nice tree ,i read the book the wild trees it the story about finding them tall trees very good read

You're welcome. The full uncropped image of the scene above in 4000 x 5960 pixels is one of the nicer photos I've managed to get - but too much detail to post (presently)

This next image is a safe one to post, as it merely shows the same angle as shown in the National Geographic video about the tallest tree in California. If you play the video, note the view where the person is sitting on the log holding the line. Same angle as the attached photo.

Video: World's Tallest Tree Towers Over California

So that view is already published.

The first image I posted appears to be the first image online from that angle: hence the cropped reduced size for now.

Edited by Steve Bullman

• 7 months later...