Moving a tree.

I've been asked to move an Acer platanoides "Drummondii" from one side of a guys garden to the other. It's a standard with a DBH of about 10 cm, height to crown roughly 170cm. He needs it doing ASAP, and I know this isn't the ideal time. It's only been in for 2 years because that's when the house, and estate, were built and landscaped.

How would you go about it? Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Back end of the year would be best mate, You will have to do some root pruning once lifted, once re-planted it would be best to prune the tree to compensate for any root damage.

If your wanting more in depth info you will have to wait for someone else to come along mate.

Good news on the college course though eh!

1. Explain how you will take precautions ( so you can charge loads)

2. Dig carefully and move the biggest root ball possible to preserve the roots.

3. Re-plant it in a nice big hole so that roots can grow easily and put a bit of root grow in to help it along.

4. Make it very clear that the client is responsible as soon as you walk out the gate. Watering etc.

5. Charge loads!

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vyanc4

if you havnt got a tree spade to hand , if it has a single vertical stake it should be bare root . if it has a angled stake or 2 stakes and a cross bar it will be rootballed . start to dig it out but before its fully out dig the hole its going in to , mix compost and a little fert with the soil (dont put the compost in the hole ) make the hole a foot bigger , put the tree in , back fill . now all it needs is a good watering

I've been asked to move an Acer platanoides "Drummondii" from one side of a guys garden to the other. It's a standard with a DBH of about 10 cm, height to crown roughly 170cm. He needs it doing ASAP, and I know this isn't the ideal time. It's only been in for 2 years because that's when the house, and estate, were built and landscaped.

How would you go about it? Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher

Call us, this is our modus operandi. 01277 849990. We are keen to promote best practice, even if we do not move it.

Robert

If you do end up getting the job, I to would wait a while and allow some good root pruning to take effect first. Also make sure that all air pockets are gone during the watering in process. At least over around these parts air pockets anywhere near or around the root ball is bad news.

easy-lift guy

The only thing I'd question is the size - a 10cm DBH tree planted 2 years ago = semi mature stock, it would be quite unusual for a tree of that size to be planted in a general garden area. 10cm girth would be more usual.

Norway maples transplant very easily and if it's only been in two years its root system isn't going to be greatly different from a nursery tree and it should be no problem if you wait until early winter and do what 'Tree Planter' suggests.

If its a 10cm girth then it will be an easy enough job to do on your own. If it's a 10cm diameter girth then you'll need some help to move it!

Yeah it is a big tree planted for the "instant garden" effect. It's gonna be a pretty big rootball but if the roots haven't grown much in the 2 years then I don't suppose I can do too much damage. He doesn't want it done in winter, he wants it done now. I told him of the problems with that but he insists. And says he won't be too bothered if it dies but wants to try and save it.

Well, it's worth a shot.