Battery Power!

jamesd

I do a lot of hedgecutting and have been chewing over the idea of getting a battery powered long reach hedgecutter.

The one i was thinking of is a stihl HLA85 with the AL500 AND AP300 battery.

Now all in the cost is close to £600, so thats a lot of money!

I just wanted to know if anyone has got any experience of using these and what sort of size growth they could handle? Like would they be ok on a years growth on a hawthorn hedge or is that asking to much of it?

Cheers, James.

Have more experience with the long reach hedgecutter than the handheld so can't really comment. What I would say regarding the cost though is that those same batteries will go in any of the other units, which are reasonably priced individually.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's the long reach I'm interested in :biggrin:

A friend of mine used to have one, and from what I heard the batterys die of pretty quick.

Do you know which batteries he was using? There are a few different ones the more you pay the longer they are suppose to last...

Had the Hla 85 for over 2 year's now and fairly impressed but for a years growth on Hawthorn has a one off yes , the blades are the same has the top of the range handheld cutters (double sided) Privet hedges and Conifers it loves .

I have had a warranty issue over the clamp on the telescopic bit which to be fair is utterly crap .

The motor is located at the end so it's a direct drive for those that are not mechanical minded.

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

Had the Hla 85 for over 2 year's now and fairly impressed but for a years growth on Hawthorn has a one off yes , the blades are the same has the top of the range handheld cutters (double sided) Privet hedges and Conifers it loves .

I have had a warranty issue over the clamp on the telescopic bit which to be fair is utterly crap .

The motor is located at the end so it's a direct drive for those that are not mechanical minded.

Ste

Cheers for the input, how do you find battery life?

Cheers for the input, how do you find battery life?

I use the older 115ap and 180ap , the 115 is fine for the Top handle saw to keep it like a feather but otherwise crap for hedge-cutters.

The 180/200 does me proud but I believe the new 300 is the one .

I have the strimmer,long and normal hedge-cutters plus the top handle saw and they have made my life on the Garden maintenance and lot easier on the repetitive starting etc .

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID