so i got me an Ash log to Mill

difflock

Say 4.0m long, by 600mm dia, spalted a bit, & a shame to firewood it.

considering trying to mill it on my as yet unassembled Logosol farmers mill:confused1:

what thickness should I aim for, also I have no idea what use I will have for the sawn timber either.

PS

I will try and get photos up later today.

mth

When I need to mill something there and then, often contract milling where the customer wants the tree cut but doesn't quite know what for, I generally advise through-and-through at 2.5". This will plane up nicely to 2" when dry which is good for solid looking furniture, or can be re-sawn at a later date to make 1" boards planed on one face for flooring or just under 1" planed on two faces for lighter furniture. It is only wasteful if you end up wanting 1.5" finished size, which is fairly uncommon.

The further from the middle of the log you get, the more likely the boards are to cup, so I tend to take the first and last slice at 4", making sure the outer face is just over 4" wide. This can then be cut up for legs etc.

Alec

Thanks Alec, I will display my novice milling status (=virgin) by asking "through and through at 2.5""

means at 2.5" centres or 2.5" plus kerf?

cheers

mth

Are you familiar with 'through-and-through' ? - if not, imagine looking at the end of the log as a circle - then draw a series of horizontal lines on it. That's through-and-through sawing. The top one and the bottom one should be a minimum width of 4" on the outer faces, ie taking a thin sliver off first and leaving a thin sliver at the end, although in practice you are likely to have to flip the last bit over to hold it and then take the final cut 4" up from the bed.

2.5" would be board thickness, so you would have to add allowance for the kerf when dropping the head down.

Alec