Row of tree's to plant

swinny

Hi there, i've been asked to plant a row of tree's down the side of a lane.

Walked it and it approx 135 yards.

Tree's are going to be maples i think. one crimson king then 2 green then another crimson king, that kind of pattern...

Planting distances is what i'm thinking about! I was thinking 15 yards initially, but on second thoughts seems like too far apart.

Just trying to make sure the tree's have enough room.

Any suggestions?

oh, 3.5 - 4 metre tree's 12-14cm girth

not as a hedge but individual tree's, will be managed. thats why i was thinking 15 yards to centres.

Maybe 10 yards.... gives crown dia at 20 ft for instance. 10 ft radius from each tree and 10 ft gap between tips of crown..... that sounds better?

or am i miles out... :confused1:

Working on some old estates, we measured out 7paces between each avenue tree. We did this several times and it came to the same spacing at each place.

Yeah, just been to pick my van up from the job. paced out some big beech on the road side, they were 8 paces.

Going to have to measure it properly i think rather than paces... you just drive down and think, it wants a heck of a lot of tree's compaired to what i first thought!

We came to the conclusion that the old boys who planted the avenues of oaks all those hundreds of years ago would use what they had to measure the spacings, a stride or pace is the most natural measure. But why 7? 10 or a dozen paces I could understand, but where would 7 come in?

Hard to say but but I don't think they are limes. Because the trunks would be fatter for the crown size I think. Is the planing on a private road otherwise if its narrow the dustcart or other larger vehicle will "prune" the trees.