Aspen in older saws problems?

Adamam

I've been trying out Aspen recently since I'm not a professional and therefore it's handy to not have to worry/care about fuel cannisters going off.

My 028 doesn't seem to love Aspen though. It's good as gold on regular crap+stihl oil, but it's being a little naughty with the Aspen.

Obviously I've retuned the carb (a couple of times) since switching, but not much joy.

Anybody else have this?

Adam

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly do you mean by "being a little naughty"? What are the symptoms?

Seem to have to retune the carb every time I cut with it. As the saw heats up, it stops wanting to idle until I richen the low mix. Also, doesn't want to reach high revs when WOT until it's run for a while.

Doesn't do any of this with regular 50/1 petrol/stihl oil mix...

Used it today for a while after a further carb tweak, and it ran perfectly so I guess it was Just One Of Those Things!

Sorry to have wasted your time!

:blushing:

Glad to hear it, I was a bit baffled as they normally change over well. I do'nt even need to tweak the carb in many cases.

What about your other saws, are you using Aspen in them too?

• 5 months later...

My turn. I have a 5/6 year old MS230 that I put over to Aspen a couple of days ago. After opening the L/A screw slightly it ran perfectly all day. Now it's all I can do to start it! I've had it running for 30 seconds on fast idle but any touch of the trigger kills it and it soon dies anyway. I've opened up the L screw, gone back to Factory Settings (won't even cough there!) but I can do no more than get it running on that fast idle for a few seconds, at which time it dies of its own accord.

Thoughts?

Jon

My turn. I have a 5/6 year old MS230 that I put over to Aspen a couple of days ago. After opening the L/A screw slightly it ran perfectly all day. Now it's all I can do to start it! I've had it running for 30 seconds on fast idle but any touch of the trigger kills it and it soon dies anyway. I've opened up the L screw, gone back to Factory Settings (won't even cough there!) but I can do no more than get it running on that fast idle for a few seconds, at which time it dies of its own accord.

Thoughts?

Jon

Sounds like a problem with the high speed fuel circuit, have you tried the H screw on around one and a half turns out?

Most likely cause is that the Aspen has purged out a bit of crap in the fuel system. Things to check would be the gauze filter under the single screw carb cover followed by the metering arm height - should be level with the carb bodymGood luck Jon!