Beginners Chisels

mickdundee

Just been trawling the web for chisels and came across this site which gives pointers and advice for beginners, as well as selling equipment. Theres a few different sets and the first one seems like it would suit me and my lathe according to his blurb. Just wanted to ask if those in the know would agree with what he says, or is it just marketing speil, ie. the bit about shorter chisels for smaller lathes.

Turning_Sets

Any opinions or advice welcome thanks, Mick :thumbup1:

Peter HEMSLEY at The Tool Post is a nice and knowledgeable guy, however buying a set may not be the best choice. It will be determined by what you want to achieve, your skill level and the depth of your pocket. I have amassed various tools over the years and I now use a 5/8 bowl gouge for 80% of my cuts, this includes scraping sheer scraping finishing cuts and hogging off waste in both spindle work and bowls.

What ever you decide, like most tools get the best you can afford, dont forget you will need a sharpening system to. If you can take a lesson or two or visit a local turner to see what you like and what you "need" as there will be loads of stuff you "want".

Take a look on youtube, Lyle JAMIESON is a good start as with minimal tools he can produce great bowls and doesnt even use a chuck.

Stuart

You would be better buying single tools off ebay, Record power are reasonable ones to start off with, a 3/8" or 1/2" bowl or spindle gouge can be used for most jobs. a parting tool and a roughing gouge would also be useful.

If you feel brave enough also consider a skew chisel, it can be a bit hard to master but once you do its a very versatile tool.

[ame]

[/ame]

Thanks gonna get on YouTube now. By the way, what the hell is being made on your profile pic lol

Its not me.... too much facial hair, it was an architectural piece, on profile to demonstarte the capacity of the lathe I use. If you are interested it is a Vb36 when you are checking you tube there are some good size pieces being done to say the least, but it will still do small finial, pens and minature work to. Good bit of kit.

Stuart:thumbup: