Supressing branches

Island Lescure

Anybody tried this? Coming off the thread about removing big limbs discussed recently, I was wondering if anyone has e.g.:

Reduced a large limb, leaving a branch 1/3 of width of parent branch with foliage.

Covered it with a tarp or at least the foliage?

Waited to see what happens, as in how fast it gets shed.

Good compartmentalization? Less ram's horns? Less stress to tree...

Not something you could do everywhere but I am sure some people would be willing to pay to have their tree's lower limb reduced in the most gentle fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmm...

When big branches get reduced too hard they don't get enough light so they die.

so is the idea to force or quicken that process, in the hopes that resources translocate to the collar area, before a final cut?

Wouldn't removing all the leaves have the same effect as shading them?

And what reason is there to leave a lateral of a particular width?

I kinda see where you are going but can you get there from here?

This is mainly aimed at large branches which would compromise the trunk if removed by pruning. The idea is just to stimulate the tree to shed the branch(es) that you want it to lose. Whether you reduce it first or not...by removing the leaves or covering it with a tarp perhaps. I, personally, have never seen a reduced branch die by itself, it usually just sprouts epicormics if it is reduced too much or on some species, anytime you remove anything. But I am relatively young.

Would removing the leaves not be more stressful?

"And what reason is there to leave a lateral of a particular width?" This was just with regards to target pruning i.e. cutting back to a reduction point on the branch, not the stem.

"I kinda see where you are going but can you get there from here? " In the UK? Not at this rate.

I see reduced branches die all too often, and oft with chagrin, as they tell me that my thinning of limbs above gave inadequate light for their sustenance.

reduction points can be delineated by 1/3 laterals, or by buds, whatever gets the job done!

No idea how that would influence the trunk if at all. If you use a tarp, try to find something that blocks light but lets air through...

Weed membrane could fit the bill

I seem to recollect some research in preventing epicormics/basal shoots on limes many years back, using trunk wraps.

Did it work? :D