fixing an old saw

peter_t

i am thinking of buying an old broken saw cheep as a bit of a project. it probably wont get a huge amount of use, maby a few private jobs, thats why i cant realy justifi getting a new saw and im a student so short of cash. i am thinking of something allong the lines of a husky 242 or 254, are parts easily avalable?

also is this a good idea or a complete waste of time? lol

thanks alot

pete

your're making me feel old,first brand new saw I had was a 254,my local dealer had trouble getting parts for an old husky strimmer of mine so you might struggle,my first saw was bought from a husky dealer who hired them out,you see the odd stihl at car boots but have never trusted them.I have a husky 266XP new in 1989 still same barrel piston,carb etc,can anyone beat that?

Depends greatly what part of the world your in as to what saw is cheap and has easily available parts.

Talk to your local shop and see firstly what they sell the most of (this will be an indication of what second hand saws and parts will be around). If it's not business critical, you may be able to afford waiting on shipping etc, in which case have a look around at what parts you expect to replace and the respective costs.

Hopefully that helps.

I'd only buy new saw now days, but my first saw was an 039 from a car boot ten years ago. It still gets used loads especially up the tree, it never misses a beat. Even had it running a 25inch bar last week when we needed more big saws cut up the big poplars for Buzz to chip. The other saws I've brought from ebay 046, 044 and 066 have all died!