muffler modding - timing advance

Dilz

Just becuase i dont have enough broken stuff to fix i'm considering having a go at some modding - never done any before so very much in the research stage and have a question.

Is there much point to modding the exhaust without advancing the timing or do the two go hand in hand - or is it really saw specific? (Saws im considering modding are MS200T, MS150T-C and Husky 346xp)

Im checking through the US forums but the information is kind of all over the place and it can take a alot of reading to get specific info.

Just becuase i dont have enough broken stuff to fix i'm considering having a go at some modding - never done any before so very much in the research stage and have a question.

Is there much point to modding the exhaust without advancing the timing or do the two go hand in hand - or is it really saw specific? (Saws im considering modding are MS200T, MS150T-C and Husky 346xp)

Im checking through the US forums but the information is kind of all over the place and it can take a alot of reading to get specific info.

More importantly I would say you need to adjust the carb slightely . You can advance the ignition by moving the flywheel key location . Spud is your best man to ansewr this as I know he has done it ( on a 395 I think )

A muffler mod tends to work on most saws bar the vintage ones that weren't that restrictive in the first place. Some saws like ignition advance, some don't. It really depends on the original designed in timing curve.

With some saws, they respond to a small change to a number of areas, just depends on what you start with.

MS200 - don't bother. MS201/MS150 are worth doing!

Thanks! so well i think i will plan to start with a new 150 - from what i've seen it looks really simple to open up the exhaust a fair amount. Also tempted to do my 201TC-M but that is my work horse so cant have that sat on a bench for too long if a cock something up.

A muffler mod tends to work on most saws bar the vintage ones that weren't that restrictive in the first place. Some saws like ignition advance, some don't. It really depends on the original designed in timing curve.

With some saws, they respond to a small change to a number of areas, just depends on what you start with.

MS200 - don't bother. MS201/MS150 are worth doing!

Have you ever modded a 192T? worth doing?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally picked up a 150 T today. It is a nice saw but it is quite slow to pick up speed.

The plan is to open the exhaust when I get a spare minute. Just wondering if the carb will need some suitable adjustments or if it will be obvious if it needs tweaking.