Waste exemptions and burning waste licences

jjll

Hi

I'm hoping for a bit of advice on two subjects.

I'm looking to register for an exemption licence to enable me to burn the odd bit of green waste on site from where it was produced.

I have had a look on the gov website and it mentions about listing the places where the burning may take place. As I don't do this much, most of my waste is chipped, how can you give a specific place?

What experiences have people had with this exemption? Anything I should be aware of or need to do?

Is it just as simple as filling out the register form and away you go??

Question 2 is about the storing of chip and timber on a site.

How easy is it to register a site for chip storage. This is either sold as mulch once it has broken down or it is spread around the trees within the field it is stored in.

How easy is this to get sorted? Are there conditions that need to be met? Or can chip be plied up in a filed, providing it is under the mentioned tonnage, and left until used?

In relation to timber storage, this is for storing arb timber which is then processed into logs and sold at a later date. Does this need to be registered? And if so, what are the requirements and conditions that need to be enforced?

Anyone with experience in either of the subjects with some pointers for me would be appreciated.

Hi Paul,

So the storage of timber in a field is ok? Even though it has be brought in as Arb arisings? No specific Licence/consent is needed?

Yes from the EA perspective virgin timber is not a waste, hedge cuttings are, but the exemptions depend on planning permission and storing wood is not an agricultural use of a field so a change of use is involved. Which means making an application or getting a certificate of lawful use after 10 years with no enforcement.

So a firewood operation may not need an exemption but will require planning permission, along with which comes a rates liability.

Given that a waste is something ordinarily discards from the activity the logging operation may be producing wastes which will require exemption.

Essentially there are different exemptions that cover wood, S ones for storage, T ones for treatment and U ones for the final use. D ones are for if you wish to dispose of it on the site, as mulch or burning for heat for example.

Not many firms I've seen comply with the requirements and EA don't pursue unless someone has wound them up.

Yes from the EA perspective virgin timber is not a waste, hedge cuttings are, but the exemptions depend on planning permission and storing wood is not an agricultural use of a field so a change of use is involved. Which means making an application or getting a certificate of lawful use after 10 years with no enforcement.

So a firewood operation may not need an exemption but will require planning permission, along with which comes a rates liability.

Given that a waste is something ordinarily discards from the activity the logging operation may be producing wastes which will require exemption.

Essentially there are different exemptions that cover wood, S ones for storage, T ones for treatment and U ones for the final use. D ones are for if you wish to dispose of it on the site, as mulch or burning for heat for example.

Not many firms I've seen comply with the requirements and EA don't pursue unless someone has wound them up.

Very interesting, and very useful, information. Thank you.

Is this based on 'experience' or research, or possibly a combination, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers :thumbup1:

Paul

Very interesting, and very useful, information. Thank you.

Is this based on 'experience' or research, or possibly a combination, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers :thumbup1:

Paul

Mostly experience with the yard I managed for 7 years, still some open issues so not for discussion of specifics.

One thing emerged which may be of interest, major civils companies would not accept virgin timber cleared from their work sites was exempted. So they required waste transfer notes and a chain of custody which forced the need for the waste exemptions even on this virgin timber.

Edited by openspaceman

Mostly experience with the yard I managed for 7 years, still some open issues so not for discussion of specifics.

One thing emerged which may be of interest, major civils companies would not accept virgin timber cleared from their work sites was exempted. So they required waste transfer notes and a chain of custody which forced the need for the waste exemptions even on this virgin timber.

Hmmm, not surprised they didn't accept the 'VT' exemption TBH. The definition in the EAs previously issued position statement seems pretty clear here.

Further, and to reinforce this, their documented guidance on "WHO" should register as a waste carrier makes specific reference to tree surgeons.

Thanks for your input here, very useful as I'm currently in discussion with the EA who are reviewing their guidance to 'their' inspectors.

Paul

Further, and to reinforce this, their documented guidance on "WHO" should register as a waste carrier makes specific reference to tree surgeons.

The company had always been registered as waste carries.

Applying for the several exemptions I needed was a paper exercise and no EA personnel came to inspect the premises whereas the planners have.

The company had always been registered as waste carries.

Applying for the several exemptions I needed was a paper exercise and no EA personnel came to inspect the premises whereas the planners have.

Again, very useful here. I'm not aware of anyone having been inspected by the EA resultant from registering an exemption, I guess it just "puts them on the radar", so to speak, should they need to at anytime...or if a query is received from "Joe Public" or, for instance, the LA.

Thanks again,

Paul