NPTC Refresher training for sub contractor assessment and CHAS

Treerangers

Are you sure this is correct? If so surly you can just aim to get a new ticket or 2 every 5 years to keep on top of it all. I will be very happy if this is the case.

Yes this is correct, you update on one ticket and that counts as refreshing all your tickets or so I've been told, but who knows, getting a straight answer on this subject is always difficult.

Edited by High Scale
Ha! Free speech.

As riggerbear said . New tickets that cover both aerial and ground should count as refresher , just tell the trainer and they can put in any useful info they think might be relevant beyond the specific training (latest info). Also ensure regular aerial rescue practice is logged.

Once you have enough tickets a refresher might be: one day aerial, one day ground based - with what is covered discussed with trainer and client and the format logged on a certificate.

Having said that if you have a specific employer asking for it you never know what weird and wonderful (mis) interpretations they consider to be required - check they agree before parting with time and money.

Yes this is correct, you update on one ticket and that counts as refreshing all your tickets or so I've been told, but who knows, getting a straight answer on this subject is always difficult.

Ahh nice one. I couldn't fine anything that clarified this on and professional website but just round about ways of putting it like 'You may also do a higher level course'. Personally I can't see how someone who has got a rigging ticket is not capable of using a chainsaw on the deck in a safe manor.

Sound advice. Up-skilling, by doing additional training or qualification, such as felling over 380mm, Windblow etc. will be accepted as 'refreshing' previous skills.

Plenty of folk offering one day refresher training to cover maintenance, crosscutting and felling. I am always a little worried where there are claims to have covered too much in a single day, as it suggests that it may not have been too thorough.

If you are planning on applying for a LISS/CSCS card with your refresher certificate, its worth checking on their website (through the BALI site) as to which refreshers they will recognise.

Are you sure this is correct? If so surly you can just aim to get a new ticket or 2 every 5 years to keep on top of it all. I will be very happy if this is the case.

"Up-skilling", provided it is relevant to the particular skill area that has exceeded the 5 year refresher period, e.g. CS31 (as was) to CS32/33 to CS34/35 etc. is recognized and accepted by HSE (trouble is where to go after CS35?)

Similarly aerially advancing CS39 (as was) to CS40/41, and more CS41, is equally recognized.

I would suggest a specific "aerial rescue" refresher / update is the best way forward for CS38, the 'AR' elements at least, plus refreshers for your associated first aid skills which are highly recommended to be industry specific.

Cheers..

Paul

If you are planning on applying for a LISS/CSCS card with your refresher certificate, its worth checking on their website (through the BALI site) as to which refreshers they will recognise.

Very valid point, and one which a few Approved Contractors have recently come unstuck on as we will accept "other forms" of refresher training, e.g. in-house / CPD orientated, provided it is clear and documented...and effective of course.

I think, to date, BALI will only accept it if Lantra, City & Guilds / NPTC or FISA, i.e. formalized / certificated refresher training. :001_huh:

Cheers,

Paul

In south east London. It'll be refreshing. We would have to upscale ground and aerial, which for 4 people would cost a small fortune.

I think upscaling is great if you are paying for yourself. If you're paying to upscale a group, it's remortgage territory!

Both have merits relative to the size of company or the individual etc. I was gutted when I realised we need to refresh or upscale, but the more I look at it, the more I think that any training, be it refresher or upscale can only reduce accidents. It certainly won't increase them. As a business owner, that pacifies me somewhat.

Will be upscaling down the line though!

Edited by Treerangers

Very valid point, and one which a few Approved Contractors have recently come unstuck on as we will accept "other forms" of refresher training, e.g. in-house / CPD orientated, provided it is clear and documented...and effective of course.

I think, to date, BALI will only accept it if Lantra, City & Guilds / NPTC or FISA, i.e. formalized / certificated refresher training. :001_huh:

Cheers,

Paul[/quote/

A LOLER refresher is NOT recognised.