Best alternative to a Stihl MS230

Bunzena

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks TimberCutter. Stupidly - I'd not even thought of a 390.

It looks like a really good saw. Having read some reviews - that's backed-up by owners too - so a really smart suggestion.

ForestAndArb have a good online price - is experience of them generally good?

And I see lots of suggestions for alternative chains/bars. Curious to know how many people stay with 'stock' items.

Thanks again to all who've contributed.

I have the 450 and the 501, the 390 I would guess is the same generation as the 501. I feel that the older generation like the 450 are just that little bit more robust, little things like casing screws are a size bigger etc.

The 501 is my main saw, that said there are a couple of things I noticed which makes me think the newer generation are factory set to run quite lean (for emissions?) are that the 501 is just a bit more difficult to start when warm if it's emptied the fuel tank and it gets quite hot just above the exhaust where you'd be holding the front handle, that said the 450 has a primer bulb which is handy if you run the tank dry as you can prime the carb before starting which saves a lot of pulling on the recoil starter to refill the carb.

Regarding Forest & Arb, can't fault them, I've had 4 saws from them (all Echo) I was concerned that perhaps they didn't carry a massive range of spares in stock so ordered the consumable parts I thought I might need before I actually needed them, had all the parts within a week. I basically phoned them, told them what I wanted and they phoned me back when they had them all in stock.

I use Sugihara bars/Oregon chains, the 501 and 8002 both came with Echo branded Sugihara solid bar, the 450 which came with an Echo branded Tsumura bar, not sure what the stock bar on the 360TES was, it was 14" probably laminated non replaceable sprocket but I replaced it with a 12" Sugihara Light Type Pro anyway.

RMac - great post - thank you.

Lots to think about. Some seductive comments about 'build quality' on the older style Echos. I am a sucker for anything that has an over-engineered feel to it. [Albeit I'm working to a tight budget].

Thanks also for the recommendations on bars and endorsing comments about ForestAndArb.

Although I have a slight leaning towards the Echo 390 - it is likely to be stored for a few months a year. I always run my saws dry - so having no primer bulb might be a pain.

[Don't know if anyone has a view on that].

I guess I could start using Aspen? [Not convinced by it - but never having used it - that's probably an unfair comment!].

Although I have a slight leaning towards the Echo 390 - it is likely to be stored for a few months a year. I always run my saws dry - so having no primer bulb might be a pain.

It isn't a big deal, it's never so bad that I need to let the saw cool or start pulling plugs etc and to be clear I'm talking about the 501 not the 390, if I didn't have the 450 as a comparison I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought and it only seems to happen when warm and run dry. I try to be aware of when it's about to run out and stop it before it runs dry.

Also, I'm not saying Echo is the only alternative any of the main players will have something that suit's your needs, personally I can only really comment on what I actually own. I have used other saws when subbing, Stihl/Husky and could have happily owned any of them.

I'd echo the Dolmar PS-420 or Echo CS-390-ESX suggestions.

Being in a similar position to you recently Bunzena I went with the Echo, but there's not much in it.

The 390 swung it for me due to:

-Slightly lighter

-Standard fit Sugihara bar

-narrow kerf .325 chain

-5 year warranty for consumer use

The .325 chains are new to me, only used 3/8 (big and small) before, but I like it. A bit more robust than 3/8LP, but plenty fast enough in the cut on the 390 with a 15" bar IMO, unless you must use full chisel (not available in .325) then I think it's really well suited to saws of this size/output.

Forest & Arb supplied mine, it didn't appear to have been run or tuned, not a problem as I've got the appropriate kit to set it up correctly, but might be a consideration for some.

Running a saw dry isn't a great idea, it's inducing a lean run condition. Once a year shouldn't be too much of a worry, but using Aspen or MotoMix means you can leave it fuelled and hopefully avoid any fuel issues. It comes down to how much you use and cost.

From totally dry mine took 5 pulls to start, and it's an Easy-start/Ergo start job, so extremely easy! HTH

Thanks BishBashBosh - really, really helpful. Tons of useful info.

Hmmm. Running dry. It seems to split opinion. I try and run almost all my kit [chainsaws, strimmers, blowers, auger, gennies] dry when I'm planning to store them for any length of time - and never had a problem.

But there's always been a doubt in the back of my mind about drying-out carb diaphragms, etc.

And you've made me think again.

That it might be wise to invest in some Aspen and perhaps not run things dry in future.

Eh?! It certainly is; 21LPX for instance.

Or have I misread yer post sorry :blushing:

Was referring to the narrow kerf chains, 20LPX is the same guage as the NK 95VPX/TXL but you'd need to check the clearance. Not a problem, you can always change bar if needed for type 21/22, but the NK chains seem to cut so well with these output saws that I'm not sure how much you'd gain by going to full chisel standard kerf?

...it might be wise to invest in some Aspen and perhaps not run things dry in future.

You could always empty out and run a couple of tanks of Aspen before storage, cut down on fuel costs but get some of the storage advantages of the Alkylate fuels. It's whatever works for you, if you've not had problems for years then keep on going.:thumbup:

If you want a new saw and will consider the usual bar nut system then I recommend a Dolmar PS 420 sc. This saw is a big leap forward in power, anti vibe,and build quality than the Stihl 230 ..IMO .Mine pictured is now run in and was easily capable of dealing with the timber you see it sitting on. AJS chainsaws...Shavey will sort you out and is a good chap to buy from.

[ATTACH]210720[/ATTACH]

I agree Sawchip Dolmar PS350SC or PS420SC , 350 comes with 3/8LP chain as against the .325LP on the 420 Myself or Shavey can supply with various bar and chain options .

The saws I supply come with a 3yr warranty