Does this sound like a scam?

CutterSy

Hi wood guys & gals

Thought I might be able to tap into the Arbtalk wisdom pool.

I've just sold a motorcycle on eBay for slightly more than I thought I would get. Then received a message from the winner of the auction asking how to pay for it.

I sent one back saying cash or bank transfer when you collect it.

He then said he lives too far away and won't be able to collect it and do I have a PayPal account.

I then asked how he was planning to get the bike, and how was he going to sign the V5. To which he replied that he has bought over 60 bikes and used PayPal and not been present to sign the V5 and always sent a courier to pick up the bike.

Does this sound dodgy? I wonder if it's easy to claim back the money through PayPal once he has received the bike? What are the rules about being present to sign the V5?

Maybe I've read too many horror stories about the seller getting screwed over? Never had a bad experience myself.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Simon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% SCAM

If you accept Paypal then you must deliver to Paypal stated address using a tracked carrier

The scam is "buyer" receives bike , starts a claim with Paypal stating item not received , you have given bike to 3rd party carrier and are up S**t creek with no paddle, no Paypal seller protection here

Accept cash paid into your account or bank transfer only. Tell buyer he can make transfer whilst carrier is waiting to load bike. Guarantee thats the last you hear of him.

Edited by harrythecat178

This is written with capital letters

DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL UNLESS YOU SEND ITEM WITH A TRACKED COURIER TO THE ADDRESS STATED BY PAYPAL OTHERWISE YOU JUST AS WELL PUT A SIGN ON YOUR BIKE "FREE TO GOOD HOME "AND LEAVE IT OUTSIDE .EITHER WAY YOU WILL END UP WITH SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY IN YOUR BANK

Brilliant. Thanks for that!

Green folding, or Foxtrot Oscar!

I sold 2 bikes to a geezer in a van (BMW R1200GS & KTM 200 SX) He turned up, looked at the bikes, agreed the price and whipped out a bundle.

We sat at the garden table counting £50 notes on a Saturday afternoon.

Half way through, I thought, I wouldn't know a hooky £50 from a straight one so I told him - we've shook hands, the deals done, I won't sell to anyone else if you come back Monday, we'll go together and pay the cash in over the counter at the bank then you can load the bikes and be on your way.

That's exactly what he did and he fully understood my position.

We shook hands again and agreed if I wanted to sell anymore I'd call him first.

That's how I like to do business, everybody finishes up satisfied and looking forward to the next deal.

Your situation sounds like a classic P take! Steer well clear!!😡