MS461 dilemma

Starscream

I find using Stihl Moto fuel that they flood too easy more so in warm weather ,took me 2 days drying my 880 out and still a bitch to get going then . Even after 8 hours standing time after use don't go near that choke lever or else it will refuse to start. You may still have Moto fuel left in .

First time in my career I have flooded a saw that it needed drying out and I blame Moto mix ,admittedly it runs sweet but a pig to start if you miss that all important Cough...lol

Ste

I'm with Spud on this, give the carb a more thorough clean, paying particular attention to the gauze filter. Remove the jets and flush with some carb cleaner (not high pressure air).

Don't bother cleaning the tank breather, just test it by blowing and sucking, it should let air in but not out.

If the tank gauze is blocked it could be sawdust type stuff which is easily identified, but could be a gel like substance that looks a bit like vaseline. If its the latter then its a result of phase separated fuel. This is not only found on old and stale fuel but can occur even on fairly fresh fuel that has been exposed to a damp atmosphere where the ethanol content has absorbed its weight in water which it can do quite quickly. The images are a bit difficult to see, but you may make out a whispy cloudiness in the fuel which is the separated fuel and this fuel was less than 3 months old and smelt fresh. Shaking the mix only stirs up the solids, they do not dissolve.

P1020283.jpg.467d0769bbb4211c47b50cbdea14187d.jpg

P1020284.jpg.b87f244f475ec5bed5d38fff2bd9f279.jpg

Thanks to everyone who replied. It's now working. I cleaned the carb more thoroughly and changed the spark plug and it's going as good as ever..... As I did both things at the same time, I decided to put the old spark plug back; and guess what? It died! Was the spark plug after all?! Not sure why, but I could do it up with my fingers whereas the new one was a lot stiffer. Could this have lead to it losing compression or something if the seal wasn't great?

A friends nearly new ms150 became troublesome and then wouldn't start, put a new plug in it and then it was fine. Maybe a bad batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Plugs gum up, get dirty and wear out all the time they are a disposable service item and should be the first thing to look at not the last when a motor is acting up. BPMR7(A) are the most common plugs in use and cost a couple of quid and I usually have 3 or 4 new ones in my bag just in case.