Propeties of diffrent wood

Will Cobb

Ditto on all the above... if it's well seasoned it will burn well. And some softwoods can be better than some of the hardwoods IMO.

It never fails to tickle me when people say the last lot of wood they had delivered was a 'bad load'. No wood is bad it's just whether it is dry or not.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that what I think are lime trees have been cut which have grown under a electricity pylon, not that that matters, how does lime burn, is it worth going and rounding those nice fat ish logs up?? and if so how long do they need to season for??

Cheers guys

Edited by MartynC

I have noticed that what I think are lime trees have been cut which have grown under a electricity pylon, not that that matters, how does lime burn, is it worth going and rounding those nice fat ish logs up?? and if so how long do they need to season for??

Cheers guys

yeah, lime dries quick and burns hot..............can be diff to split sometimes.

split it now and you could be burning for or just after xmas. give plenty of air whilst drying as can go mouldy qite quick.

good wood though and nice and light for the misses to drag the baskets in:thumbup:

yeah, lime dries quick and burns hot..............can be diff to split sometimes.

split it now and you could be burning for or just after xmas. give plenty of air whilst drying as can go mouldy qite quick.

good wood though and nice and light for the misses to drag the baskets in:thumbup:

Forewoodman, thanks for that, there's loads where I got this lot from so maybe I need to get back and get the rest ... free wood, cant refuse lol

One of the hottest burning things i have come across is the deadwood from scots pine, we had a load which i logged and they were seriously hot burning. all the brash I burnt in the yard as its a nightmare to chip, once it got going I had to move all the vehicles as the side of the van was too hot to touch. That stuff really goes:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started burning Sweet Chestnut that I cut and split last Feb / March . It spits and pops, so no good for an open fire, but in my stove it burns hot and bright and more importantly (I'm in a smoke control area) it burns really cleanly, no smoke at all after 5 minutes to warm the flue. It also leaves hardly any ash and splits very easily to make kindling.

Apart from the popping and spitting the only problem is that I can't get it to last all night so once it's got a good bed of hot embers going I put a big wedge of Hornbeam on it or a shovel full of Anthracite.

I've also been burning Silver Birch which lights easily and burns too quickly, not great.

Lastly, that old rhyme about "Ash green or Ash dry" is cobblers, green Ash doesn't burn well at all, it smokes, tars up the stove window and leaves the inside of the stove covered in soot. A dry fill of Sweet Chestnut leaves the inside of the stove white and clean.