Poison Oak Immune Treeworkers

jomoco

Sounds horrible. I hear Yew can be nasty for blistering scratches etc. I chewed a leaf of Aron's Rod once mistaking it for sorrell - god the pain was fierce. Lucky it came on quick before I swallowed it. Burning acidic pain, nothing helped but it faded after an hour or so.

Edited by Haironyourchest

Poison oak (or poison ivy) has the scientific name Toxicodendron diversifolium. Due to its harmful effects it is unlikely to find its way from its native habitat in North America to the gardens of Britain. The only related species we are likely to encounter is Rhus typhina, the stagshorn sumac. But this looks nothing like poison oak and is harmless, though invasive.

According to Wikipedia, sensitivity is increased by repeated exposure, so jomoco's luck may run out one day. You may get more first-hand accounts by posting on a US-based arborist forum.

Surely . Poison Oak is Toxicodendron diversilobum and Eastern Poison Ivy is Toxicodendron radicans , they are not the same though can be mistaken for each other. I have hiked a lot in the US and asked to be shown Poison Ivy at the first opportunity so I knew what I should avoid. It is pretty innocuous looking in the young form like young Hedera climbing for the first time.

Updating on the affects of second hand exposure to even minuscule contact?

Despite staying outdoors and shedding all my clothing, and bathing in the garage's large laundry sink?

I sill managed to spread it, simply by driving my sister's car later that evening. Apparently from the steering wheel, gearshift, and floor pedals. I was wearing my PO sap encrusted boots on the same garage concrete, I later tread upon wearing sandals a bit later.

You almost have to be quarantined and scrubbed quite vigorously I guess to work PO without some degree of downstream second or even third hand detrimental affects, that are no joke to the folks that are highly sensitive to it.

Add contagious to ornery n grumpy I guess!

Jomoco

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article on acquired immunity to allergens being the result of exposure to nasty germs n stuff found on farms n animals, at a very early age, like 2 years old.

Why Melbourne is the food allergy capital of the world

Makes me glad I was a hillbilly toddler raised on a tobacco farm with cows n pigs n chickens n stuff!

These modern sterile office lives'll kill you n your children too it seems?

Jomoco

Surely . Poison Oak is Toxicodendron diversilobum and Eastern Poison Ivy is Toxicodendron radicans , they are not the same though can be mistaken for each other. I have hiked a lot in the US and asked to be shown Poison Ivy at the first opportunity so I knew what I should avoid. It is pretty innocuous looking in the young form like young Hedera climbing for the first time.

Knowing what a deciduous plant looks like with leaves is useless for 6 months during the year if someone does not know what it looks like bare.

Part of the strategy with poison-oak out this way is knowing what the other stuff is that looses leaves and how those look different.

M D Vaden poison-oak link >Poison-oak, Poison oak. Poison Oak Photos. Images. Urushiol. Rash Information

It grows over 120 feet tall out here, stems over 4 inches in diameter. Also as shrubs or ground cover barely 3 inches tall.