Fungus on Elm

Xerxses

I think that's a good call Tom.

Along with Oak, it's the right host, though when I've seen it, it's on wood but not on the base of trunks.

Me too, but that looks exactly like what I've seen and TBH I have seen it with in 2 foot of the ground anyway.:thumbup1:

Image081.jpg.10a5a20d797bf426225b6c600f29d742.jpg

Just got a suggestion from another forum;

Hypsizygus ulmarius, what u think?

Anybody got info on this fella?

Jordans has it also listed as Pleurotus ulmarius.

His description & photo call the cap as more yellow with age, compared to your shots.

Also talks about Hypsizygus as being on live or dead trunks.

Out of interest Xerxs, which forum offered this up as a possible?

Jordans has it also listed as Pleurotus ulmarius.

His description & photo call the cap as more yellow with age, compared to your shots.

Also talks about Hypsizygus as being on live or dead trunks.

Out of interest Xerxs, which forum offered this up as a possible?

Swedish funghus guide..."svampguiden.se":sneaky2:

Yeah thats what I gathered when I searched the net...On stems, trunks, fallen trees etc hence my idea of the roots beeing dead... what u reckon, trees in danger of falling over:blushing::confused1:

How's the canopy looking, particularly on the 'dead root' side?

Well after a few nights with -5 celcius, the canopy aint looking too well:sneaky2: Sorry...I cant really recall, I think its coming down anyway cause a neighbour is having trouble with lack of sun in the garden....

Im a bit on my toes at the minute since a big maple branch fell over a busy street night between thursday and friday...which called for an emergency fell on the friday. Severe case of white rot...Dryads saddle and something I havent identified yet..think it is "Hericium coralloides" Been here just about 2 years and havent yet had the time to survey all the trees that needs to be. Will look at the rest of the trees in the avenue as I suspect there might be more with "problems":001_rolleyes: Well I turned it into a monolith of course!:thumbup:

As far as I remember ( I first saw the tree 2 weeks ago) there was no evident sign of problems but the unusual funghus about 5 inches from the base of the tree. I will go back and see if there is any of it left and if it is still possible to get a whiff of it...

597654bf617ce_Lnnsvamp1.JPG.940a01306f4a0466ff77d0c41893ef33.JPG