blowers

bob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably so but the company ask us to fill them in so they can use them as eviedence towards thier duty of care, so we fill em in!

i agree with everything you have put in last bunch of posts especially as i suffer and have to limit my exposure

just would like to point out the forms are not only there to cover your firms arse they are there to check your exposure levels and by filling them in you can hopefully be more vigilant and at least you are aware of vibration levels of machines which i would not expect of most tree surgeons

i have some really good vibration results from our last machine checks will dig them out for DEBATE

i agree with everything you have put in last bunch of posts especially as i suffer and have to limit my exposure

just would like to point out the forms are not only there to cover your firms arse they are there to check your exposure levels and by filling them in you can hopefully be more vigilant and at least you are aware of vibration levels of machines which i would not expect of most tree surgeons

i have some really good vibration results from our last machine checks will dig them out for DEBATE

Cheers Bob, the thing with the forms are they are only as accurate as the person filling them in wishes!

I'd be keen to see your results when you find them,

The problem is the handheld blowers, by and large. I, for one, have used a handheld blower for over 15 minutes on countless occasions; sometimes you make a big mess and need a big cleanup.

Backpacks take all the vibration risk out of blowing (even if you used one constantly for 6 hours you wouldn't reach the daily limit).

I'd just like to highlight the fact that the figures are for trigger time. As blowers, like hedge trimmers and brush cutters are very heavy on trigger time, it is easy to rack up a lot of capillary and nerve damage in a short time.

Chainsaws, unless you are sectioning or cross-cutting, are relatively light on trigger time - think of how many seconds your hand is squeezing the throttle on a crown thin, a fell or prepping branches to chip.

Also, the vib figures for the day are all your trigger times on every tool added together. I think these ratings are correct:

Stihl MS200t: 10 mins = 5 vib points

Stihl MS341: 10 mins = 4 vib points

Stihl BG85: 10 mins = 26 vib points

Stihl BR550 (backpack): 10 mins = 4 vib points

Stihl HS45: 10 mins = 36 vib points

Stihl MS880: 10 mins = 25 vib points

The blower has a Vibration rating of 8.5, by the way. In contrast, the Stihl MS880, is rated at only 7.8. The HS45, a hedge trimmer we have all used, I'm sure, gets and impressive 10.0 points, Stihls worse tool, vibration wise.

All this Guff is from STIHL UK's Website, by the way.