Elm Reduction

fen01

Hi, A question for the more experienced than me:

I have been asked to reduce a hybrid elm to about 50% of its hieght!:confused1: almost all of it crown:confused1: The tree is in good health with no damage or fungus etc.

Will it survive shuch a dramatic pruning? I have told the customer that there is a good chance the tree won't last, but would get some second opinions, it is a nice tree so i would rather not kill it.

Really sorry no pictures::thumbdown: i left my camera behind.

I suppose if it doesn't last, i will back next year:lol:

Cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, pretty much a pollard. You're right, i think that it will look terrible as well, and have told the customer, but they want the view down the valley. I think that, they should choose between the view and the tree.

Cheers

it will grow back very quickly but look like a typical pollard for a few years to come, i dont know about hybrid but doing this will help it against dutch elm disease, it will be feeding less so be a stronger tree imo

Don't see how that works Stevie???:confused1:

If you remove the trees means of feeding (the leaves) how can that make the tree stronger???

Also I don't think the strength or health of the tree has any bearing on whether a tree gets DED, if the beetle goes in the tree get infected, well that my understanding.

Edited by skyhuck

those bad boy roots are soking up a lot of juice dave, look how vigorous the growth is after,i always reckoned the tree was used to feeding a huge canopy, so when pollarded it is putting all its nutrients from the roots into a smaller amount of growth points so the tree is stronger, any dying elm that i have ever pollarded has lasted a lot longer than the ones left alone. maybe i am wrong, its just what i have asumed. and most of the weeping elms are more resiliant up with us, they are only starting to die now, as with the cornish elms, i know of a row of about 30 young ones that have been struck down within the last year. and 3 weeping. i just asumed having a large trunk and small canopy to feed the weeping ones were stronger. what are your thoughts:001_smile: