can you save money on a timber framed self build?

flatyre

Just left the van in this morning to get some graphics on it so no work today. I should be using the laptop to do some work related stuff but got sidetracked. I always wanted to build my own Scandinavian style home and hopefully if business takes off, in a few years time I'd like to be in a position to buy a bit of land, something big enough to build a mid sized house on as well as have enough ground for a small yard and shed for the business. The house will be a shalet type bungalow with a inset balcony at one end, three bedrooms, kitchen/lounge, living room, small office, couple of bathrooms. I spent years in the building and landscape industry and i'd like to use those skills to create a home for the family. I served my time as a brickie and have a bit of experience building in stone. I'm a fairly competent joiner as far as first fix goes, though would leave the second fix to qualified friends. I can also call in friends in the spark and plumbing trades. I'd be able to do all groundworks myself as I have driven diggers, dumpers etc. fairly regularly for years. The main problem is finance, as a self employed self builder I doubt the bank will give me much of a mortgage, and most of what I can borrow will buy a plot and leave very little for materials. Question is what would be cheaper for me, a timber framed house with a stone outer shell, or block inner with a stone skin? It may never happen but on wet windy days like today its nice to dream.

Hi

You can get self build mortgages pretty easily. If you already own the plot outright you will get a deal no problem. Have a few years books and show personal bank account is healthy the last 6 months and you will be fine.

They normally release funds in arrears at stages, you pay each time the surveyor comes out to check off a stage. normally

groundworks to damp

watertight shell

first fix

second fix

as the groundworks is normally a big chunk, if you do this yourself you will have a good saving. Also dont forget you will get all the vat back on the mats at the end of the build.

Find a good indie broker, your accountant should be able to point you in the right direction as they swim in the same circles.

I have just finished building exactly what you have described I went timber frame using a company called roe timber in kent very cheap and spec I wanted, had to get a self build mortgage but Darlington do then and at good rates. With your skill set I would think you would find it quite easy plumbing is all speed fit now and I was lucky brother is electrician.

If ur a bricky to trade i would imagine ur cheaper doing a double skin block house as u could do all the work urself.

While making kits is not rocket science it is still probably a wee bit more than hobby joinery. Just making sure u have the right timber in right places to be load bearing etc

If u go down the kit route, U would probably be cheaper making the kit on site and helping a joiner mate to do it, not too bad to do

I'm moving into the caravan this wknd about to start a self renovation job, not really ready for it as my house sold after 4 days which is quite unusual in this area.

The stonework is already there but needs a new roof and a few thousand ton of soil/rock shifted from behind it before i can start

My bro has randomly also just bought a site too and is looking at building a polysterene house (ICF, nudura blocks) which does seem quite an impressive system and pretty easy for diyers. Quite cheap too and saves on ur external/vapour proof plaster board at 27 quid a sheet