Lathe work lights

mickdundee

I to have a good quality angle poise on the lathe head stock, the VB has convenient mounting holes in the main casting for just that job. I also have a portable work lamp which I can position where ever and when ever it is needed.

I did have a problem on my last lathe with fluorescent lights as at one speed the lathe was in synch with the lights and it acted like a timing light on a car and made the spindle look stationary, very weird.

Natural light is definitely the best though as Steve said move it to, or insert a window where the lathe is and a sky light to if you can, I think all electric lighting causes fatigue if you are turning for long periods.

S.

I did have a problem on my last lathe with fluorescent lights as at one speed the lathe was in synch with the lights and it acted like a timing light on a car and made the spindle look stationary, very weird.

S.

Called the stroboscopic effect, and as you pointed out for obvious reasons can be dangerous in machine shops.

To counteract it, fluorescent lights round about the machinery are taken off different phases of a 3 phase supply so in effect each light is flickering at a different time. Also different types of lighting can be used, for example a normal incandescent task lights at the lathe, which is in effect a white hot coil of wire and doesn't suffer the same amount of flicker because it doesn't get a chance to cool.

The 2 on the rest are led with magnets and use them behind the tool rest when hollowing or doing detail work

Some times I have all the lights on but often just select the ones I need

image.jpg.28a31f371aae0bf17b95d2545de7b722.jpg