Crane fed Chipper

ajc

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always consider a parellel motion crane to be best suited to chipper feeding , eg tp had a system a few years ago with crane mounted by the spout , the produce is presented direct to the hopper with this type of crane , normal crane if you streatch out to grab produce you spend time lifting main boom to get grappel up enough to present to hopper , I also think brush grapel with open tines lifts less mud & stones there fore less damage to knives . another thing is beware spout and crane , if you use only in one quadrant it is ok if you tyr to use 180 - 360 degrees you will trash spout, poss short spout option but beware ce safety etc. cheers j

Farma, Farmi or weimer. Parallel cranes are nice, but if a crane has joystick controls, its largely irrelevant.

I would go for something with decent reach, 6 - 8 meters. I used to have a 10m double extension on my forwarder, and it was exceptionally good for clearing large areas into the chipper.

Best person to speak to is Andrew Holmes, as he supplies several different brands, and does a lot of the 3 point linkage conversions.

Speaking from previous experience, the ONLY type of crane to have is a parrallel one. I had 3 years using a mowi 3060 crane on a purpose built thinnings chipper and it was the ducks. There is less stress on the chipper chassis with a parrallel crane, and they are also far quicker using less oil flow. You can also get the mowi with a low kingpost so as to help with visibility during operation. As to any other type of parrallel crane I don't know but i am sure there are other good ones ou there.:top:

by the time you source a good crane and stick it all together you might be easier getting good roofmount, you dont loose any visibility with a kingpost and you can use it for other operations too..but then you will find your chipper wont keep up with the crane, and then you will want a bigger chipper. lol

Its a farmi 260, so I would go with a farmi crane, as the A frame is compatable between the 2. The farmi A frame has mounting lugs for the chipper to sit on, and the chipper is available with a purpose built crane feed hopper, that swaps over in minutes.

i went down this route a few years back, the mowi 3000 was 8k, i was to miserable to buy it for my tp250, so i sourced my own crane, and a fabricator. long story short it was crap, the crane was great but just the wrong one, the base was too heavy and you couldnt see by the kingpost, it probably cost me more than 8k in the long run and i never used it, i would buy whatever is compatable as edd says. a good 3 point crane takes minutes to change, and i would spend the extra money on elctro controls and a rotating seat. but you will soon be into 20k i reckon with that, thats why i went down the roofmount rd.