Ebay time waster, how much to claim in court

ukminch

Just after a quick bit of advice, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of lifes to short etc, but I've got a bee in my bonnet, and it's going to be released.

Listed by bike on ebay as it's not had any use, and the money could go towards the extension etc etc. Now some tosser has hit the buy it now button and then I've got no contact at all, obviously no intention to buy.

It's only got a short MOT and I didn't want to mess about MOTing it etc accordingly it means now by the time it's been relisted the MOT will nearly be up, meaning that it can't be legally ridden home, which would affect the price?

Now as it's legally binding (and i'm pee'd off) I intend to follow up through the small claims court. How much do you reckon I can claim that would be seen as reasonable. £800 was the Buy it now, but I still have the asset, presumably I can claim for difference in what I sell it for plus the wasted time, or should I just go straight for the £800

Rob

P.s Anyone wana buy a 91 zx750r??

Rob that is not a lot of info really, but going on it surely ebay must have an address for him or can get it, as i am sure thay would be interested to hear if you havent already told them, as it sounds lie a breach of the rules. How long ago did it happen? Does he/she not have a time limit on contacting you, under ebay rules, which may not be up yet? I dont understand how you cannot contact him through 'myebay' section of the site?

I hope you get it sorted either way mate. Thats a pretty unusual and crap way to carry on by them.

Unfortunately you cannot leave negative feedback as a seller now?!?!? However somebody has previously left positive feedback saying he did the same thing to them. I've emailed them and they confirmed no response etc.

I've got the buyers name and address. With buy it now it's normal for a deposit to be left straight away, this is what I asked for, or you'd leave a message when you press the button saying I'll be up next week etc.

Looks like I'll have to re-MOT it. Don't think it will be a major hassle to do but it's finding the time to MOT and do any jobs that need doing means I'll probably just keep it, as for the kind of money it's worth quite quickly with tax, mot a tyre you've spent half as much as it's worth again. Don't 'need' to sell but equally don't want things sat round rusting........

R

Normally, you would have to take reasonable steps to sell it elsewhere for the best price you could get and, once you have sold it, you could sue for any difference in the price agreed with them and the price you sold for eg if you agreed a price of £1000 with them and could only get £800 elsewhere, you would sue for £200. Not sure where you would go with this one as it is a straightforward breach of contract and, as such, you haven't actually made a loss yet as you still have the bike. You would certainly be entitled to your auction fees for starters though.