Tidying up stubs from storm damaged trees.

Jake Andrews

So my general practice that I was taught was to prune out stubs when called out to torn limbs. Since coronet cuts are becoming more popular and more widely accepted, I wondered if more people were leaving the stubs in the tree for habitat.

I understand that there are a lot of variables involved i.e location of tree, how large the stub is etc etc

But.......have people's thoughts or techniques changed during storm damage work.

Aesthetics doubtless comes into play in some situations, particularly residential and amenity trees, but, in general, yeah where you can leave them (provided there are no safety issues / concerns in so doing.) As Steev says in a woodland setting is very appropriate and also because of the habitat considerations.

I recollect hearing somewhere recently (sorry, not very helpful) that because of the way branches fail during storm damage and the wood cells stay in tact, subsequent dysfunction / decay is less likely to occur. Obviously the "species factor" will be relevant here in that some species readily decay anyway and others are more resilient having durable heartwood.

Right, time to run as I'm getting fact too technical for myself...and as an AA Teccie :confused1:

Good to see others view here too.

Cheers..

Paul

That's interesting Paul, iv always gone under the theory (and I have no evidence to back me up) that leaving a large stub from storm damage could delay the time taken for decay to set in the main stem. Again this can't always be done in a stately home but it may be achieved in other places like schools, parks, woodlands and other public places. Would tree officers see stubs a risk, or just unsightly?

......... Would tree officers see stubs a risk, or just unsightly?

I think a (growing) number of TO's would see a naturally damaged stub or a fractured/coronetted one as a positive part of the aesthetics of a mature tree and not as a risk.

Context is usually the key, although these images are all from an open space, they're all visible by adjoining private residences and highways.

Interpretation and interaction with the local public is often useful for paving the way to a better understanding of trees and their natural place amongst us.

DSC01170.jpg.86488732b22876162c674d77dbedae6b.jpg

59767062a0cbd_CopyofP6140005.jpg.3e51e5c6403f3a8bd9f84bb0daab91af.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg.adcd80b3d3821f76cdb666608b82a8a0.jpg

IMG_4924.JPG.b475ede5742175fd852655fb71bf7933.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG.553b3274649c3e17931e1792301ba3dc.JPG

Nice.:thumbup: you and your team certainly make artwork out of your cuts. Very detailed and realistic, I guess that's why the LA approve them and not a "Bart simpson" lookalike cut others may do.

I don't think LA have a say.... David is the Don of that manor.😄