Advice and Guidance for a newbie

DaveP1989

Hello all I will be soon completing a fast track arborist course and will be acquiring the following qualifications:

Internationally-acclaimed ISA Certified Arborist qualification.

Level 2 – 002003 (Replaces CS30) – Chainsaw maintenance & crosscutting

Level 2 – 002004 (Replaces CS31) – Felling & processing trees up to 380mm

Level 3 – 002111 (Replaces CS32) - Felling & processing trees over 380mm

Level 2 – 002007 (Replaces CS38.1) – Accessing a tree using rope & harness

Level 3 – 002106 (Replaces CS38.2) -Aerial Tree Rescue operations

Level 3 – 002108 (Replaces CS39) - Aerial cutting of trees using free-fall techniques.

Level 3 – 002113 (Replaces CS40) – Aerial Tree pruning

Level 2- 030509 Wood Chipper - – Safe use of manually fed wood chipper

Level 2 – AMWP02 – M.E.W.P - Safe use of Mobile Elevated Work Platform

Stump Grinder - Safe use of Stump Grinder Certificate

An Emergency First Aid at work Certificate

Manual Handling Certificate

The course will also include over 200 practical hours of professionally supervised hands-on Forestry, Arboricultural & Tree Surgery skills training.

I guess my biggest question is "where do I start?" when I have finished the course I will be without a job and in need of one fast! hence the fast track course.

What advice would you give considering that what you have learnt in your career to someone starting theirs in Arboricultural?

I am currently phoning local businesses in my area explaining this situation but I feel like I am just stabbing in the dark.

I would appreciate any advice that you could provide even the small things that others may take for granted, I have scratched and saved for this course and this is the career path for me I am determined to accomplish my goal and will not give up.

Thanks again for anything you can help me with.

Kindest Regards

Dave

Whaw, that's a pretty impressive range of quals which any employer will be pleased not to have to pay for...credit to you for such a commitment.

I think you're doing the right thing phoning round and, I would suggest, maybe offer them a day or two FREE so they can have a look at you, and, if your "real life" experience is limited perhaps saying you're happy to do whatever needs to be done rather than, for instance, I only want climbing jobs, i.e. be as versatile and flexible as you can to get a foot in the door...and, of course, be prepared to graft, ideally in all weathers, or at least as required.

You may be aware we (the Arbor. Assocation) run an accreditation opportunity for tree surgery businesses called "ARB Approved Contractor" (its the industry's best kept secret and everyone on ARBTALK yearns to be involved...they just don't all realise it yet :001_rolleyes:) so make sure you also contact anyone in your region (see Arboricultural Association - ARB Approved Contractor Directory )

Best of luck with it all n welcome to the industry...and ARBTALK :thumbup1:

Paul

I think you're doing the right thing phoning round and, I would suggest, maybe offer them a day or two FREE so they can have a look at you, and, if your "real life" experience is limited perhaps saying you're happy to do whatever needs to be done rather than, for instance, I only want climbing jobs, i.e. be as versatile and flexible as you can to get a foot in the door...and, of course, be prepared to graft, ideally in all weathers, or at least as required.

Don't offer

To work for free for anyone. That is just ridiculous. But start off as a

Groundy and work your way up

Ooooooo, fight, fight, fight:lol: