quoting

bill

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if it is too much money to loose, or I have a bad feeling about the person.

Remember there's little sense in giving a quote if they do not ACCEPT the specificaton, cost and terms in writing.

That way you cover your 4rse getting paid.

Especially on emergency work. I always keep some blank quotes in the van....Just incase.

If a customer doesn't trust you or you don't trust them then a written quote is a good idea. But don't just automatically do a written quote straight away - give them your quote verbally and say that if they accept then you can give them the quote in writing before the work commences, this way you're not writing out a quote for a job you might not even get.

• 4 weeks later...
Getting people to sign documents is ok on commercail works but sets alarms bells ringing for customers on domestic jobs. Unless it is a large domestic job.

People, I have found, are becoming increasingly cagey about signing things.

Hardly worth it unless the job is for a large amount

A customer signing your quote does not guarantee payment anyway. The customer could have done a fake signature, then who's to say you didn't just sign it yourself? A customer intent on not paying won't be stopped by this method.

i just give a price then turn up when agreed to do the work always confirm price again before starting.

a quote on paper is not worth nothing they can still argue.

If i get the feeling there after a dirt cheap job i just whack a massive price and go home you know you wont get it any way. :wave:

If a customer doesn't trust you or you don't trust them then a written quote is a good idea. ...

Good ideas there igacs.

Written quotes can be a bind but I give one to every new customer and about 60% of repeat customers. They like knowing what they get and how much. It also stops the " can you just " brigade as we say "yes but it will be extra" The customer also has your address so they know I'm no traveller . The only people who have ever stiffed me ( one woman) are those who do not want a quote in writing as they are in a hurry , so now they all get one to start with.

If i get the feeling there after a dirt cheap job i just whack a massive price and go home you know you wont get it any way. :wave:

We tried this with some conifers, but we still got them, which was a nightmare

I hate that when you put a big price on cos you dont want it then they go ok.

Oh yes i had the it look small conifer but inside its a block of wood lol.:hmmmm2::cry: