jojam

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jojam,

Officially, the LA have to disclose info regarding public services...... I'm sure it's something to do with the freedom of info act (or something similar), although not sure of the specific clauses etc....

Try applying formally in writing, asking for the name of the contractor, or a copy of the approved list, maybe even ask for the successful tender price..... and chuck in a strong threat of reporting them to the Local Gov. Ombudsman if they refuse again.

I agree with Andy Clark on this one, request the information via the freedom of information act, they have some get out clauses, but none of them should be applicable in this case

How to make a request

Any person can make a request under the Act - there are no restrictions on your age, nationality, or where you live.

All you have to do is write to (or email) the public authority that you think holds the information you want. You should make sure that you include:

•your name

•an address where you can be contacted

•a description of the information that you want

You don't have to mention the Freedom of Information Act, but there is no reason not to if you want to.

You should try to describe the information you want in as much detail as possible - for example "minutes of the meeting where the decision to do X was made", rather than "everything you have about X". This will help the public authority find the information you need.

Public authorities must comply with your request promptly, and should provide the information to you within 20 working days (around a month). If they need more time, they must write to you and tell you when they will be able to answer your request, and why they need more time.

When I tender for LA work they tell me who tendered, who won it and what the rices were. But not who put in which price.

There are usually 4 tenders, sometimes 5. If I know what my price was and the the winner had the lowest price then I can guess which price goes to which other contractor.

Without that information I would not be able to keep tendering.

I have a letting agent who has asked me to quote twice for soem biggish jobs and I never got them. They asked again cos they always need 2 quotes but I refused, I don't want to be used as a "second quote" to help get the cheap bloke the quote each time, so unless they tell me who it is and at waht price I don't want to be involved.

So, going back to the LA, they really should tell you, and if not then as mentioned above any memebr of the public (including you) can request the information and they must give it.

How about a quick name and shame. Simple sign hung around the tree saying "please come back and finish the job".

Good idea, haven't been back in contact with LA guy but was talking to one of the other contractors whose yard is beside the tree and he said it was done with an unmarked motor........This I also believe is against LA rules, your motor is meant to be sign written.

It galls me when I see stuff like this. If you don't complain they get away with it.

Make noises at management level of the LA and demand answers.

Public trees, like any other, need quality trained arborists working on them.

I'm maybe a bit nieve but would that be counter productive if you rocked the boat?ie less tenders came in as a result:confused1: