Friction Hitches & Devices for SRTWP

R Mac

Cheers Joe, when you say Pantin are you referring specifically to the Petzl foot ascender? I had kinda decided on the CT version as I read a few posts on here where people had problems with the rope coming out of the Petzl but if you're happy with the Petzl then I'll look at them as well. I did notice a post here last week about a modification you can buy for the Petzl.

Will endeavour to not descend with the ascenders attached :001_smile:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Joe, when you say Pantin are you referring specifically to the Petzl foot ascender? I had kinda decided on the CT version as I read a few posts on here where people had problems with the rope coming out of the Petzl but if you're happy with the Petzl then I'll look at them as well. I did notice a post here last week about a modification you can buy for the Petzl.

Will endeavour to not descend with the ascenders attached :001_smile:

My bad, I have both. The petzl as it is is crap. Maybe the mod will sort it. Go for the CT

what experience do you have as a climber? If you're used to ddrt you'll need to completely forget how you would normally work a tree.

Very little experience as I've not long passed my CS38/39 and mainly been rec climbing since so no technique is set in stone. I moved straight from a basic prussik to the 'O' Rig pretty easily though.

The biggest challenge was coming from regular climbing experience from way back, a major change needed when it came to tree climbing, especially dealing with all the regulations and not climbing above my anchor :biggrin:

Re, the pantin, yeah I wondered if you were using the name generically, so the CT it is then.

Very little experience as I've not long passed my CS38/39 and mainly been rec climbing since so no technique is set in stone. I moved straight from a basic prussik to the 'O' Rig pretty easily though.

The biggest challenge was coming from regular climbing experience from way back, a major change needed when it came to tree climbing, especially dealing with all the regulations and not climbing above my anchor :biggrin:

Where are you based mate? There's normally someone nearby that would be happy enough to have a climb with you.

Spring is on the way and that's rec climb season!

The haas is pricey but worth it , the thing that makes it work well is the elastic runs down nearly the entire device so you get much more return with the up step of the ascender ..... Another way to get a good return is double up the elastic it's nearly as good maybe better.... I will try out some thing at weekend it maybe a knee ascender you can Russle up for about 20 but have to see if it works first !

The haas is pricey but worth it , the thing that makes it work well is the elastic runs down nearly the entire device so you get much more return with the up step of the ascender ..... Another way to get a good return is double up the elastic it's nearly as good maybe better.... I will try out some thing at weekend it maybe a knee ascender you can Russle up for about 20 but have to see if it works first !

Be interested to see that one. Seen the new HAAS "velox"?

I'd be livid if I'd bought a HAAS last week and just seen that!

Joe, I'm in N.I. not too far from HERE I have access to some smallish trees but I'll get more practice in when/if the weather improves. I'd thought about just throwing short lengths of rope into the canopy at random and seeing how efficiently I can 'rescue' them. I'm not employed in the tree business at present so no pressure for speed.

Matty, I would be happy enough to try to make up a knee ascender, I suppose I could just get the ascender and see what odds and ends I have, probably be able to cobble something together using webbing slings (got plenty of those) and shockcord and I'm sure I've got spare carabiners but not autolockers.

Worst case scenario if I couldn't make a knee lanyard that worked I could just make a footloop for the basic ascender and set it up as a hand ascender?

Be interested to see that one. Seen the new HAAS "velox"?

I'd be livid if I'd bought a HAAS last week and just seen that!

I'm getting visions of something built around a bicycle chainwheel and cranks, fast as f*** but the wear on the rope is horrendous :biggrin: