Small scale hydropower scheme's.

timberbear

How long do the systems last ?

Is it something that will last forever with maintenance ?

Can't answer your questions directly, but there is parts that wear our, for example the Pelton wheels can become damaged over time, and bearings get tired, as well as the usual maintenance of regular cleaning the water intake filter to remove frogs, leaves, dirt etc.

I would love to have a suitable place for a wee hydro scheme. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Navitron is a good place to visit for info on their forum and for buying parts for a low cost set up.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't answer your questions directly, but there is parts that wear our, for example the Pelton wheels can become damaged over time, and bearings get tired, as well as the usual maintenance of regular cleaning the water intake filter to remove frogs, leaves, dirt etc.

I would love to have a suitable place for a wee hydro scheme. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Navitron is a good place to visit for info on their forum and for buying parts for a low cost set up.

I was just wondering out of curiosity. I have no where to do it.

I was just wondering if they had a shelf life a bit like solar panels degrade if that makes sense

I think the main question is how long the Feed in Tariff lasts... My understanding is that it lasts 20 years.

I'd imagine a small hydro scheme would last "forever". The concrete/ pipes and cables should last 100 years easy. The gearbox/ dynamo and turbine should last 100 years if maintained.

So what happens when it runs out?

Does it still feed in to the grid and not get paid for so to speak?

My main reason is power for nothing, the idea is when I retire it's one less thin to pay for, the feed in tariff is a bonus, the other option is to sell surplus directly to local farms.

I was just wondering out of curiosity. I have no where to do it.

I was just wondering if they had a shelf life a bit like solar panels degrade if that makes sense

The generators at balmoral are 120yrs old and have only been refurbished once! Providing the beatings are greased maintained then they should generate for a long time.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1453924083.214048.jpg.eb36bac316eaa5a59ee1a1a56f715c65.jpg

So my plan would be to either install a penstock at the main flow in picture one or take a flow from the old mill pond (pic 2 & 3) down to a turbine house lower down the stream. As you can see the old dam would need re engineering at some considerable costs. One of my main concerns is the environmental impact on the surrounding areas as tracks would have to be laid to get the machinery on site.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1453924062.226159.jpg.364673cd40c408cd428af22fa34f66f0.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1453924020.089153.jpg.b740037073204a3a98d72ec8077e5cf6.jpg