Business Partner Wanted - North Yorkshire

Threadders

Hello

I am looking for a local business partner to jointly start a Firewood & Kindling company near Pickering, North Yorkshire. I have most equipment and a very good supplier who can deliver 25T loads. I may still start the business on my own however I am looking to scale up the operation to start with to make it more profitable and I feel a business partner working with myself will give better results for the business. And hopefully both business partners !

I ran a small firewood business in Scotland (where I am originally from) however I got dragged down to London for the last 3 years by the Mrs and I am finally in the fresh air of North Yorkshire.

You may be someone with an interest in wood and looking to do something part time or have a small operation running in the area with a look to scale up. I thought I would post on here to see if there is any like minded people who would like to get involved and share all profit and work load in a 50/50 split.

If anyone is interested or even wanted to have a quick chat then send me a PM and we can discuss further.

Jon

Just curious, is there alot of demand for firewood up north I.e Yorkshire, iknow its alot colder than down south and im guessing there are more houses still using wood as fuel but I though with alot of it being farmland meaning there will be quite a few already doing logs and its not as densely populated like down here that it may not be viable? ?

Just curious, is there alot of demand for firewood up north I.e Yorkshire, iknow its alot colder than down south and im guessing there are more houses still using wood as fuel but I though with alot of it being farmland meaning there will be quite a few already doing logs and its not as densely populated like down here that it may not be viable? ?

Hi William, there is a few companies however any firewood I have bought has been very under seasoned. A lot of people I know in the area struggle to find good seasoned firewood and this has spurred me on to get a business started.

Hi William, there is a few companies however any firewood I have bought has been very under seasoned. A lot of people I know in the area struggle to find good seasoned firewood and this has spurred me on to get a business started.

Hi Threadders, interesting to read about what got you interested in firewood. I've just recently started selling and I have been very pleasantly surprised by the response, but it is hard work! The main feedback I have had from customers so far ( and I am now getting a good level of repeats and some referrals) is that they have been getting poorly seasoned or waterlogged wood, or have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery. Quite a number of my customers seem to leave things to the last minute, which in some ways suits me fine as it's evenings & weekends for me just now. The main things I have learned so far is that you need to have a good stock, plan well ahead, get your pricing right and don't promise if you can't deliver - leave that to the competition. I'm still working pretty much hand to mouth ( I suppose it is a kind of "just in time" system) but I'm putting any spare cash into stock for next season & I have just got fixed up with the rent of a big shed where I can store my logs for next season. I have a pickup and spent a lot of time wondering about a trailer, and if so whether or not to get a tipper. I did, and for the first 6 weeks it didn't turn a wheel, my few orders were all pickup loads. The last 6 weeks though it has been invaluable, and it does seem to suggest to the customer that you are a serious business, not just a bloke hawking logs.

Hope it goes well for you!