Reward Fund for Coast Redwood Native Plant Habitat Damage / MD Vaden

mdvaden

These places must get huge footfall, and as they are ecosystems that reside in somewhat of a niche it's not surprising that even moderate levels of disturbance can have very harmful effects.

All of our national parks have large volumes of traffic. Not year round, not 24 hours of every day. Nothing short of closing the parks to visitors could possibly prevent the claimed damage to the trees and surrounding vegetation.

I do not believe for a minute that collecting money in order to expose or name persons will help or matter. The National Parks Service of the USA does the best job it can to preserve and protect the parks and visitors.

Could there be improvements, of course. A single person soliciting funds by electronic means on an international forum may be a novel way of collecting $$$, however I am not buying into the methods of how to stop or prevent this aledge problem in the first place. Although the OP may be very passionate about what he thinks he is attempting to accomplish bottom line is that nearly all of the national parks have been here in one way or another before man arrived and will be here long after man has left.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He also says that the trees have been in decline for a long time in his own text

But the one the reply above you is not talking about trees in decline.

Two different species. But virtually everyone posting in this thread shows how little they know about even a single species in that forest.

Maybe they should study it some, go check the forest out a few times, then let it sink in.

There is a difficult line to tread between conservation and access. If people don't see the trees then they won't bother protecting them. Your request for money and the sensationalist language used and the obvious personal issues you have with the initial person who "leaked" the locations just doesn't sound right and reading the pages made me feel it was a personal vendetta against an individual. I might be wrong but that is how it came across..

To be honest I agree with your sentiment and it would be best to keep some sites hidden and access restricted simply due to people not knowing they exist. But if I was in the area I would want to trek into the woods to find these trees, just as you do.

Never been a problem with trekkers, Not the ones who didn't thrash the area around the world's superlative trees.

The language was not sensationalist. The situation was actually understated. The leak size is almost down-played on the page.

And its not a personal issue. The parks, Save the Redwood League, businessmen, and researchers tried to find out who did it, but can't tell, because every leak was sterilized of personal data, dates, etc. And it hasn't been announced because its a really sore issue with a lot of them. Due to the nature of how it was done, their platforms are not able to go anywhere with it at the moment. Due to the footprint my redwood pages have and the nature of my networking, I'm one of few to approach it from this angle.

One of the tourist attraction in California is a redwood with a road through it. You can actually drive your car through...

The tree looks alive to me.

Chandelier Drive-Through Tree (Leggett, CA): Address, Phone Number, Top-Rated Point of Interest & Landmark Reviews - TripAdvisor

We know full well that crown condition is not a conclusive indication of tree health. Particularly for much larger trees, the declne may very well be very slow, and not observed over the course of years (or even decades).

All of our national parks have large volumes of traffic. Not year round, not 24 hours of every day. Nothing short of closing the parks to visitors could possibly prevent the claimed damage to the trees and surrounding vegetation.

I do not believe for a minute that collecting money in order to expose or name persons will help or matter. The National Parks Service of the USA does the best job it can to preserve and protect the parks and visitors.

Could there be improvements, of course. A single person soliciting funds by electronic means on an international forum may be a novel way of collecting $$$, however I am not buying into the methods of how to stop or prevent this aledge problem in the first place. Although the OP may be very passionate about what he thinks he is attempting to accomplish bottom line is that nearly all of the national parks have been here in one way or another before man arrived and will be here long after man has left.

easy-lift guy

"in one way or another". The probability that they are to exist in a declined state if man ever "left" is much higher than the inverse. Let me explain it this way. If you invited me to your lvery old, century-old house (or better still if you didn't), and I then came in, trampled all over the place, took photos of everything, moved bits just to get better photos, damaged some of your belongings, started smoking inside your house, and then left without trying to remedy any of the damage, and then encouraged others to come and do the same thing, would you like it? This is what we do to nature. We always say "well nature will always exist", as your house will, but not in the same way, and perhaps never the same way again (or at least for hundreds to thousands of years).

Honestly speaking, I have no concerns over what OP is doing. If he cares about it, and it is not being remedied in any other way, then why simply let the person get away with what they are doing without consequence? In cases like this, looking to shame someone is probably better than not.

Even one pair of boots could be disasterous,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,allegedly:laugh1:

It could do, he was right.

Edited by Kveldssanger

"in one way or another". The probability that they are to exist in a declined state if man ever "left" is much higher than the inverse. Let me explain it this way. If you invited me to your house (or better still if you didn't), and I then came in, trampled all over the place, took photos of everything, moved bits just to get better photos, damaged some of your belongings, started smoking inside your house, and then left without trying to remedy any of the damage, and then encouraged others to come and do the same thing, would you like it? This is what we do to nature.

Honestly speaking, I have no concerns over what OP is doing. If he cares about it, and it is not being remedied in any other way, then why simply let the person get away with what they are doing without consequence? In cases like this, looking to shame someone is probably better than not.

It could do, he was right.

Actually, whether you agreed with me or even disagreed, your post stands out among many in this thread because it shows a consideration of information and trying to consider standing in different shoes, so to speak.

I've read the whole lot and all the links yet still cannot grasp what the problem is that needs fixing. Must be me.

I did find the bit about one man visit a year being the difference between life or death off a tree somewhat incredulous as, I am sure, will everyone else who is not familiar with the fragilities of giant redwoods. You learn something every day.

I've read the whole lot and all the links yet still cannot grasp what the problem is that needs fixing. Must be me.

I did find the bit about one man visit a year being the difference between life or death off a tree somewhat incredulous as, I am sure, will everyone else who is not familiar with the fragilities of giant redwoods. You learn something every day.

Yes, I think one person earlier was trying to make jokes about that one.

But one tallest conifer of one species, after measuring it once, looked pretty messy because the slope was so steep. Every step tended to slide soil and the ferns looked pretty bad.

No exaggeration on that one. Truly a tree where one person doing repeat visits could mess it up.

If I leave it alone, the soil should hold. It would be nice to measure it from a long distance through my lifetime and see what the species' potential is. My laser is good for maybe 500 meters, so I can measure and stay off the slope.

so let me get this straight, you want people to donate money so you can offer a reward to someone that hands you the person that has caused the damage to plants around these trees, and when this happens legally you can do..............nothing as they havnen't broken any laws, I assume you plan to send them a strongly worded email.

whilst I admire you dedication to trying to do something but your not coming across well in my opinion.