Another beginner chainsaw thread

Simonhi

Hello,

I'm new here and by default a complete beginner.

I need a chainsaw to cut some wood that I was lucky enough to get from a site I was working on.

Until now I have borrowed a saw but feel it is high time I bought my own.

It will of course mostly be used for smallish work but I do hope to do some small scale felling in time with the right tuition.

I have been using a Stihl 181 and whilst it is adequate it does sometimes get bogged down in the cut and I'm just a Husky guy at heart. We have about 50 Stihl disc cutters at works and I just associate that brand with cutting kerbs and slabs !!! I had a Husky supermotard years ago and I just love the rebel feel I get from Husky.

I was looking at the 440, 445 and 450.

Am I trying to run before I can walk ? I have used a chainsaw very rarely over the last 20 or so years so I'm not a complete newbie, I'm still here !!!

Sorry if this has been done to death before but I would really appreciate the advice here.

I am the type of guy to by once and don't want to either be under gunned or over powered.

Cheers is advance guys :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

The 550 is a good saw but has some complicated electronics if it goes wrong, what you probably need is something tried & tested that dosnt need attachment to a laptop.

These are the ones Id look consider are:

42cc - Dolmar 420SC

50cc - Dolmar 115 which Shavey says is still available!

60cc - Echo 620sx

70cc - Husqvarna 365xt

The Dolmar 420 is an absolutely cracking saw & very reasonably priced & may be just the ticket.

What ever you get run it on Aspen then you wont have to worry about fuel going off etc.

N

Hello,

I'm new here and by default a complete beginner.

I need a chainsaw to cut some wood that I was lucky enough to get from a site I was working on.

Until now I have borrowed a saw but feel it is high time I bought my own.

It will of course mostly be used for smallish work but I do hope to do some small scale felling in time with the right tuition.

I have been using a Stihl 181 and whilst it is adequate it does sometimes get bogged down in the cut and I'm just a Husky guy at heart. We have about 50 Stihl disc cutters at works and I just associate that brand with cutting kerbs and slabs !!! I had a Husky supermotard years ago and I just love the rebel feel I get from Husky.

I was looking at the 440, 445 and 450.

Am I trying to run before I can walk ? I have used a chainsaw very rarely over the last 20 or so years so I'm not a complete newbie, I'm still here !!!

Sorry if this has been done to death before but I would really appreciate the advice here.

I am the type of guy to by once and don't want to either be under gunned or over powered.

Cheers is advance guys :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

There are plenty of good saws in the 50cc bracket ether second hand or new and its a sure bet we all have our personal favourites. Your budget may fix what you can chose from ..second hand will get you more saw for any given amount you spend as long as you chose something that is up together. Stihl ..Husqvarna,Dolmar,Jonsered, Echo …all worth looking at. You will be shocked how good the 50cc saws are compared to a Stihl 181 ! :thumbup:

Cheers for the advice guys.

I didn't think about going 550 or 560 xp but I'm willing to consider if it's worth the step up ?

I'm also willing to look at other non Husky brands but wanted to keep the purchase local in case it needs some tinkering to keep it running well.

I will also use aspen fuel for the peace of mind in knowing it will likely be sporadic use.

Is there much between the 550 and 560 saws ?

Am I trying to run before I can walk ?

Forget this nonsense about starting with smaller saws. I doubt many of the professional users on this forum started out on small 'homeowner' saws. Personally the first saw I used was a Husky 262. Its all about your budget, if you can push to a professional spec saw then do so.