Start out climbing kit

diervek

Just piecing together a (very) basic starter kit for the new year with a budget of around £400 - does this look a reasonable starting point?

I've just used the tree hog as a marker until I try some harnesses out to give me an idea on my budget for now.

Any recommendations, anything missed, swap-outs? :confused1:

0B9QX_BaFFwHcYW5ncUxJWGNCZ0E?e=view

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the big suppliers do a starter kit for around your budget, have a look around.

The one below is from Skyland, comes in at £425 with a treemotion light harness that is quite well thought of by many

http://www.skylandequipment.com/progressive-climbing-kit.html

The only other things you would need that don't tend to be included in these kits is a set of spikes if you plan on doing takedowns, and potentially a throw line if you will be accessing taller trees

All looks ok, I assume the 9mm Boa is for the friction hitch on your climbing line.

Someone has mentioned a lanyard, in addition to the length of climbing line you'll need

2 x Karabiners, I use a DMM Ultra O on the side that stays clipped and a DMM Boa on the side that gets clipped off/on.

Another length of 9mm Boa for a friction hitch on the lanyard

1 x Micro Pulley to advance the friction hitch on the lanyard, I use an ICS Small Single Pulley.

For Aerial Rescue you'll need,

Spare Prussik loop c/w Karabiner

Webbing Sling c/w Karabiner

Possibly a Figure 8 descender c/w Karabiner

Also a 1st Aid Kit, a Knife (the course book mentions a folding blade), Whistle.

Climbing Helmet, I use a Petzl, can't remeber the exact model.

If you're spiking then you'll obviously need spikes and possibly a wire cored flipline, I use a Honey Brothers Wire Core with Swivel Snap-Lock. you'll also need a friction hitch, another micro pulley, again I use an ICS Small Single Pulley and another karabiner.

so in addition to what you already have

4 Karabiners (5 if you use a figure 8 descender, 6 if you need a flipline)

1 Micro Pulley (2 if you need a flipline)

2 Friction Hitches (3 if you need a flipline)

1 Webbing Sling

1 Figure 8 Descender (possibly optional, if you don't use it you need one less karabiner)

Knife

1st aid Kit

Whistle

Climbing Helmet

Wire Core Flipline + 1 karabiner if the flipline already has one fitted

Climbing Spikes

I think that should cover the basics needed for CS-38

Phone http://www.treeworker.co.uk/ and explaic what your doing.